Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2012, 11:50 PM   #1 
starlightj47

My betta is sick... please advise!

I've had my betta Francis for a year and a half next month. He has always been happy and healthy, but a few weeks ago, he had white spots appear. I am now worried that something is very wrong. I'm expecting to find him dead, and I hope that he isn't in pain. He's lethargic and hides in my decorative rock in the tank. He seems to be stiff and have a hard time swimming/staying still. He tends to hide in the rock or lay on the top of the heater (see pictures). The scales that have turned white seem to be lifting off - but I can't find anything online that looks the same.

My tank is clean, and we just did a major water change (despite the flash making my tank look disgusting). I've tested ph and Ammonia levels, and things are standard for healthy fish. I took a photo with no flash and 2 with flash.

Any advice would help!!
Attached Images

starlightj47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #2 
lvandert

Ok yeah you got a big problem. As for what it is exactly I'm not sure but I'd guess its a parasite of some sort. I'd get him on a aq salt and stress coat (both dosed to repair damaged fins/scales) asap. My girl Big Red had something like this but her's progressed so fast I couldn't save her.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #3 
megaredize

i would also suggest aquarium salt right now 1 tsp per gallon. before i saw the pics i was thinking it might be ick now seeing them im not sure if it is a parasite or fungal. so the salt will not hurt no matter what the problem is. but you might need some medication once someone with better experience can identify this.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #4 
Tazo

Could you please fill out the form in the sticky at the top of this board? It'll make it much easier to help you.
Tazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #5 
lelei

Awwe..poor lil fishy..fill this out..for the best advice, thanks for posting pix..hope he can get the help he needs, for now AQ salt and Stress coat, will help with clean warm water, =but also more details..this is the link to the info we need
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49160
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:01 AM   #6 
starlightj47

Alright, thank you all for your input.

I've been watching him carefully the last few days, and reading lots on the internet (and I most definitely do not believe everything I read). I honestly think he may just be getting old. http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/aging-bettas/

He is acting lethargic and he lunges at food like he can't see very well. I think the water change I did a week ago helped with his happiness, but he seems to be aging quickly. I will continue with the water changes and conditioner. Thank you again for your help!
Old 07-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #7 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazo View Post
Could you please fill out the form in the sticky at the top of this board? It'll make it much easier to help you.
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

That is not old age. They loose the OCCASIONAL scale not clumps of scales or as severe like that. You need to get him some aq salt and stress coat at least until we can find out what is really wrong with this guy.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #8 
starlightj47

Sorry I didn't reply to the sticky.

When I checked on him at lunch, he was laying flat on the bottom... it didn't look good. I just got home from work and found him passed away :(

I appreciate everyone's help. I am happy I can know for sure he isn't in pain or suffering. This is not the best way to spend a Monday evening :(
Old 07-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #9 
lvandert

I'm sorry Starlight!