Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #1 
Twilight Storm

ventral fins curled on HM because of his habits?

I have a halfmoon.. err super delta... I paid a HM price for him at Petco though... (still irritated about that can you tell? They wouldn't believe what I was saying, but I still really wanted the little guy so I got him.)

Anyway

When I got him his ventral fins had a slight curl to them. I put it down to sitting in such a small cup. After owning him for a few months, providing him with silk plants some tannins and driftwood etc. He still has curled ventral fins. In fact they are worse now then they were when I got him. I am guessing this is because he likes to sit on things? More so then my other guys? It's really kind of depressing to see his circular ventrals, like he got them curled with a curling iron. He can't straiten them out at all now. To me it looks like he is bending his elbows- if he had elbows..

I wasn't sure if this could be a genetic defect, or if it is some other problem, or if this is normal for some fish. I can't find anything googling about this so thought I would ask. I can't eliminate hard water but his tank has a lot of tannins plus driftwood in it and none of my other bettas including my CT are having issues.

As soon as I can, I will take new pictures of him to show how bad they have gotten. It might be a bit before I can borrow a camera though.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #2 
TheCheese909

I've heard that can be caused by hard water, being exposed to ammonia for long periods of time and can also be caused by being stuck in a small amount of water for a long period of time.

I've seen male CTs with the tips of their crowns curled. Sometimes, eventually, they will just fall off or just go back to normal. Though I have a VT male who's dorsal fin has always had a tiny little curl at the top and i've had him for coming up to a year now and there is no change.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=38700

You can try reading up on that thread.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #3 
lelei

But if he is a DT with the ruffly type fins, I wouldn't say curl.. but ruffle..all of my Sammy's fins do that..at the edges, but when he flares, they straighten right out..when he's resting on a leaf, they are like very ruffly, almost curling looking..I think that is what your referring to..maybe..correct me if I am wrong..lol
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #4 
katrina89

My halfmoon's fins curl at the end... just his bottom and top fin... his tail doesnt curl
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #5 
nel3

my dt in the avy has ventrals that cross each other if the "normal" position is asumed and his dorsal is constantly curled 50%. when flared he can only get 80% open of the dorsal. i got him in this condition and can only guess its genetics for my case.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #6 
lelei

See how when Sammy is resting his fins look ruffly..but almost curled..is that how your fishy looks?
Attached Images

lelei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curled fins, curled ventrals, elbow