Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2012, 03:08 AM   #11 
CrypticDelirium

I bought a beautiful CT and petsmart, and had every intention of breeding him and others as my project for aquaculture. Then, when I started to research more, learned about genetics and show quality, I decided I would breed ONLY the best. My lil CT guy - The BEST of petsmart, doesn't hold a candle to imports. He's going to a loving home, a PET home, (My mom fell in love with the lil guy so I'll see him once in a while ) I just feel personally it's the responsible thing to research first, and thank goodness I did or I'd have listened to the petsmart guy and be breeding petstore fish no one wanted, and watching all the fry die of starvation because they can't eat pellets.

I think, if you cannot afford monetarily or time wise to search for and to buy quality fish, how then can you afford the housing and care of hundreds of fry, culture live foods, and better the betta?

Besides, I've seen betta locally for $2.99, I'm sure it's not JUST here. Who'd pay $30 to insure LIVE, stress free as possible shipping for a FREE fish of that quality? I strongly believe with what is available it makes no sense to try to re-form petstore fish, it's years and years behind the form and fins of show quality. I'd rather not try to shove off fry to friends who don't REALLY want them and they'll live in an unheated vase their whole lives, which probably wouldn't be long when they fail to do water changes.

Just my two cents, though!
CrypticDelirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:24 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

A question here. Don't you think that it's not only genetics that makes a good show betta but also the way the spawn was raised, ie, regular water changes, good quality, nutritious food, proper housing, etc?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:47 AM   #13 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I agree that most pet store betas are genetic mutts. BUT I disagree that VT are mutts. Yes they've been mass produced - simply to fill the quota. But I refuse the idea that they're genetically a mess. They are VT, beautiful in their own way - bred for color. It's sad to hear people call them mutts - the ancestor of modern fin types .... and still useful to lengthen modern fin types.

I agree not all should breed VT simply because they are harder to rehome. But I'm not against people breeding them IF and only if they can rehome the potential fry. It'd be a shame to see these go extinct.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #14 
tpocicat

I've seen some wonderfully beautiful VT bettas. I'd bet that most of us started with a VT betta, I know I did. I didn't even realize there was something else until I started doing more research and fell in love with HM's. Nothing wrong with VT's as long as there are enough good loving homes for them.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #15 
Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
I agree that most pet store betas are genetic mutts. BUT I disagree that VT are mutts. Yes they've been mass produced - simply to fill the quota. But I refuse the idea that they're genetically a mess. They are VT, beautiful in their own way - bred for color. It's sad to hear people call them mutts - the ancestor of modern fin types .... and still useful to lengthen modern fin types.

I agree not all should breed VT simply because they are harder to rehome. But I'm not against people breeding them IF and only if they can rehome the potential fry. It'd be a shame to see these go extinct.

+1^ I agree 100%

I saw a truly lovely VT in a store the other day, clearly bred a decentish breeder for fin size/colour and he was healthy... fins like ship sails and a true solid red, no blue wash at all. So lovely!

Beside him were some mass-bred VT's, weedy fish with skinny bodies, poor fins, lovely colours but.. so weedy... not a patch on the big red fellow. And it was obvious to me that the big red guy was a far different and better stock. I have also seen dragonscale VT's there, same thing, big healthy attractive fish.. and put them next to the little mill-bred VT's and I know what I'd choose.

I do think there's a need for some good quality pet store stock, to give people a choice not to buy mill bred fish... and all the problems they tend to have.

Last edited by Aus; 07-31-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

I always think VTs are more impressive than HMs when bred well as they are usually able to carry a fair amount of finnage without looking like a sinking ship.

I was actually playing with the idea of breeding some fancy marble VTs. Just the question of finding the right pair to start with.

Over here there is not so much discrimination against their breeding, as good bettas of any tail type are rare and things like HMs etc. are quite expensive (think $30 for a fish that would be described as a Super delta at best).

Jodi-Lea one of Australia's main suppliers of bettas gets in some cracker VTs. Like this boy for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HADPTkzyvgw&feature=plcp
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:53 PM   #17 
tpocicat

WOW he is a real beauty! Nothing wrong with him.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:18 PM   #18 
MrVampire181

VT are only good to get that hardiness into your lines. Other than that I will not breed them. It's difficult enough to rid the trait.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #19 
Hallyx
Reference Team

If all VTs were of the caliber of these two, I think we wouldn't be having this discussion.

AquaBid.com - Item # fwbettasvt1343807800 - Orange Butterfly Veiltails - Ends: Wed Aug 1 2012 - 02:56:40 AM CDT

AquaBid.com - Item # fwbettasvt1343807587 - Fantacy Veiltails - Ends: Wed Aug 1 2012 - 02:53:07 AM CDT
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #20 
tpocicat

I especially like the first one. What beauties!