Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2012, 09:42 AM   #1 
clarkk

Exclamation Fin Rot or not?

Housing

What size is your tank? Vasco is currently in a .5-Gallon hospital cube. I am transferring him to a one-gallon goldfish bowl after the next few days.

What temperature is your tank? Room Temperature 70F +

Does your tank have a filter? No

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No, I'm going to get an air stone today.

Is your tank heated? No, but I'm going to get a small heater today.

What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food

What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
I'm switching over to primarily pellets (starting yesterday) and I feed him Tetramin flakes and the occasional bloodworm.

How often do you feed your betta fish? Daily in the afternoon, usually fasts once a week

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
Usually once a week.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
75%

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
AquaSafe or BettaSafe (whichever is on hand)

Water Parameters:

Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I haven't tested it.

Symptoms and Treatment

How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
His top fin is nearly gone. I don't know if it's finrot and preventing him from swimming correctly, or if it just got torn off somewhere and is influencing his swim. His back fin isn't very big and flowy, either, but it never was HUGE like some bettas. He isn't a crowntail or a female, so it was never really a problem, but now I think he may have something like fin rot or a bacterial infection.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
It hasn't, really. He swims to the top for air, when I come in the room he perks up, and he still attacks his food with just as much excitement as usual. :) Sometimes he lays on his sides on the bottom of the tank, though, which makes me really nervous. Is that unusual?
Lately, though, I've noticed he's had a little bit of trouble swimming, but it's barely noticeable. He's been floating more sideways, (like vertical, I guess) and he lays at the bottom on his rocks sometimes (but that's not unusual for Vasco). He's very prone to bloating, so I'm used to it. I've cut his food intake down a lot.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
About a week or two ago...I didn't think anything of it really, until I started reading into these types of forums and questions. I had assumed he tore something on a plastic plant, so I removed the plant and didn't think anything of it.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Right now, Vasco is in a hospital tank (a .5-Gallon cube) with about a half to three-fourths of a teaspoon of aquarium salt. I did a 100% water change and plan to wash out and dry his current tank (a one-gallon cylindrical vase - I'm switching him over to a one-gallon goldfish bowl after our move up to college). I'm getting him a heater today and an air rock.

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
Not that I'm aware of. He occasionally suffers from bloating but I've recently begun fasting him on Saturdays and feeding him half of a pea on Sundays to relieve the constipation. It seems to be working better.

How old is your fish (approximately)?
I purchased Vasco form a local Critter Corner pet store a little bit less than one year ago. Probably...last October, so about nine or ten months ago.

You can kind of see where the tears and things are on his bottom fins and tail. His tail looks normal to me, though. Like, not really much different than usual. Also notice how the top fin seems to be almost missing. There's like, a nub left. It's not like, black and red like everyone says fin rot should be. It's like...white and stringy, you know?

Sometimes he kind of just lays on the bottom like this. He swims around and stuff though too! I mean, he's very active, but when he just lays like this it makes me nervous that maybe he has a condition that I don't know about or that he's sick. Right now he's laying on his leaf hammock though. :) <3
clarkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:56 AM   #2 
lvandert

Your pictures aren't showing up but there are a few things I can help with anyways. With your current tank you need to be changing the water ever day. Ammonia will build up way to fast for just changing once a week. You need to get him a heater, the water for his tank should be 78-82 degrees. I would recommend aq salt and stress coat for now. Do those for 7 days and see if there isn't any improvement.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:04 AM   #3 
clarkk

Okay. Thanks. I actually just switched him over to a hospital tank (the small cube) today, so I'm going to use the AQ salt and stress coat (I just added a few drops to his water right now) and I'll do the seven days thing. I have a nice, clean bowl for him for when he gets out of the hospital. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #4 
clarkk

UPDATE

Vasco is now in his betta cube back in my bedroom. I turned a heater on back there to warm up the room. The heater is set on 80 degrees, so the warm room will up the temperature of the water slowly. I poured about 2 mL of Stress Coat in his water that has about 3/4 of a teaspoon of AQ salt in it already, and there is a fresh gallon of conditioned water with a teaspoon of AQ salt warming up also back there for his water change tomorrow. I'm hoping this will kill off any bacteria and get him back to normal over the next couple of days.

Later today, I will be purchasing a heater and an aerated rock for his new tank after treatment. Am I doing anything wrong, or should I be doing something differently?
Old 07-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #5 
lvandert

sounds good! just keep an eye on him, if anything drastic changes let us know!
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote