Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #1 
Bettanewbie60

filter vibration?

Okay, so my 5g tank has a small filter with an external pump, Buddy loves his tank and is a health fishy. My 5.5g tank has a Tetra whisper with an internal pump, set on the lowest setting. The flow is perfect for bettas, but I realized that it makes the whole tank vibrate. Could this be why my "Beau" has not been able to settle for two weeks now? I mean, it would drive ME crazy if my whole world vibrated. I never realized how much I could feel the vibration just by placing my hand on the outside of the tank, until tonight. Should I just remove it? Beau is now in another tank, but I just added a new betta to that tank tonight...I would hate to think I drove Beau crazy because of that dang filter vibration!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #2 
Frazzle

I would use something to cushion it against the glass... I'd say fish tank sealant because its 100% silicon, but its kinda perm. unless your comfy with using a razorblade to remove the silicon later on.
Frazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #3 
Ginzuishou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
Okay, so my 5g tank has a small filter with an external pump, Buddy loves his tank and is a health fishy. My 5.5g tank has a Tetra whisper with an internal pump, set on the lowest setting. The flow is perfect for bettas, but I realized that it makes the whole tank vibrate. Could this be why my "Beau" has not been able to settle for two weeks now? I mean, it would drive ME crazy if my whole world vibrated. I never realized how much I could feel the vibration just by placing my hand on the outside of the tank, until tonight. Should I just remove it? Beau is now in another tank, but I just added a new betta to that tank tonight...I would hate to think I drove Beau crazy because of that dang filter vibration!
My filter vibrated as well (10 gallon tank). I slid it around, held it, put weight on it.....anything to figure out what would make it stop vibrating. I wound up putting bits of these http://www.amazon.com/Macks-Pillow-S...icon+ear+plugs where it hung onto the edge of the tank. ALSO, I made a homemade baffle out of a soda bottle and that stopped almost every vibration when I put it on. These things may not work for you........... just keep experimenting :) Check internet to see if filter vibrations bother fish.
Ginzuishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #4 
KukaaKatchou

I had the same problem but once I took apart and cleaned my filter motor it was MUCH better.
KukaaKatchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #5 
clopez1

Could be the propeller..check to see that it's in properly.
clopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:13 PM   #6 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginzuishou View Post
My filter vibrated as well (10 gallon tank). I slid it around, held it, put weight on it.....anything to figure out what would make it stop vibrating. I wound up putting bits of these http://www.amazon.com/Macks-Pillow-S...icon+ear+plugs where it hung onto the edge of the tank. ALSO, I made a homemade baffle out of a soda bottle and that stopped almost every vibration when I put it on. These things may not work for you........... just keep experimenting :) Check internet to see if filter vibrations bother fish.
Cool idea with the earplugs..I have to use Mack's earplugs all the time for my left ear. I am deaf in that ear after 5 surgeries, so I always have them on hand! I did pull the filter apart the other night, and once I put it back together the vibration was a lot less, so maybe just loose parts. I still may use the earplugs though...thanks!
Old 07-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #7 
Bettanewbie60

Thanks to everyone for the tips...I'm have to make sure it's all clean too!
Old 08-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #8 
Unity

Which filter is it?
Unity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #9 
Ginzuishou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
Cool idea with the earplugs..I have to use Mack's earplugs all the time for my left ear. I am deaf in that ear after 5 surgeries, so I always have them on hand! I did pull the filter apart the other night, and once I put it back together the vibration was a lot less, so maybe just loose parts. I still may use the earplugs though...thanks!
Glad the filter is making less noise. ;)
Ginzuishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #10 
clopez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity View Post
Which filter is it?
Tetra whisper
clopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote