Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #1 
CTBettaLover

Question Fishy friends for my betta splendid

So I know there is plenty of info out there on the internet on what fish make good tank mates for siamese fighting fish, bettas. However, I would like some suggestions from betta owners with experience keeping other fish with their bettas. Ive been told that tetras are generally good tank mates if you get atleast 5 of them to school together. The guy at my LFS told me that my betta might try to fight or eat the neon tetras because of their coloring and size. So Im not too sure. There are so many different types of freshwater fish out there! Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks! & Happy fish keeping!

Old 07-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #2 
registereduser

How many gallons?

Tetra are supposed to be fine with betta, but mine was stressed out by them, not because they chased or nipped him, but because they all died within 2 weeks

My advice is to quarantine any new fish for a few weeks before putting them in with your betta. I have had no problems adding cory catfish, otos or snails right away but the tetra were a problem because they were apparently not healthy.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #3 
CTBettaLover

Im sorry to hear that your fish died. I was thinking about maybe a zebra snail if I can find one. I did want to get a pleco but was told they grow up to 2 feet so I would have to get rid of him eventually. A pet of mine will be a pet of mine as long as it lives so that wouldnt work. I think a couple tetras or corys would be a good choice. I have a 10 gallon tank by the way.. 2 inches of fish per gallon is what i have been told is the general rule of thumb when it comes to tank mates, is that correct?
CTBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #4 
registereduser

I was told one inch per gallon but the good folks here on the forum say it depends on the "bio-load" of the fish aka how much they poop

Snails poop a lot so I recommend nerite snails because they don't reproduce in fresh water so you can get one and only have one.

Corys and tetras like to live in packs so get about 3 cory and 6 tetra.

There is an aquarium calculator to help you figure out what to stock:

http://www.aqadvisor.com/
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #5 
Alcemistnv

Yea, from what I know bioload does count a lot. Like, I think if you have plecos, you can only have 1 or 2 per 10 gallon because of the ammount of waste they put out.

I can't tell you exactly about what to get because I'm not familiar with other fish, but it's best to get a bottom dwealer or mid level dweller.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #6 
Ginzuishou

I have Neon Tetras (3) and Red Eye Tetras (5).

The Betta never bothers any of them.

The Neon tetras are fine with everyone in the tank.

The Red Eye tetras seem to scare easily, even when I go to feed them.

I think good tank mates would be Neon tetra and Cory catfish.

I had a mystery snail and the Betta never left it alone, rubbed against it, sat next to it constantly, and even bit at the antennas.
Ginzuishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #7 
gn3ranger

I love Cory's they are so peaceful they get along great with Betta's , but each betta has their own personality.
gn3ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:20 AM   #8 
SpookyTooth

While at the heart of it it is down to the personality of the individual bettas, many of the above have given good fish suggestions. One thing to consider though in a 10 gallon you can only have pygmy cory species, they need to be in groups of six or more. With six cories and one betta you do not have room for any more animals.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #9 
KukaaKatchou

I added two Otocinclus to my tank and no problem with the betta
KukaaKatchou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, betta tank mates, cohabitants, tank mates