Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #1 
cjz96

Please help me! I'm very worried!!!

Hi, I bought a divided tank today for my two bettas. I put them in this morning and they immediately started flaring at each other. Will the every stop? The flaring is still going on. My one other betta's tail fin seemed to have ripped in the middle and his anal fin has seemed to have gotten holes! They are in a 5 gallon divided tank with a filter and heater. I'm very worried, especially about my betta losing his tail. Should I remove them into their previous tanks? Thanks!
cjz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:16 PM   #2 
ukandy

Hi they will calm down after a few days when they realise they each have their own territory. Ive found its best to try and block the partition with plants or similar as well so they can hide when they want to. Give it a few days then start worrying.
ukandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #3 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Hello, congrats on your bettas!

I would recommend to only split a 10 gallon or larger, as bettas need ample swimming room.

What colors is the divider? Opaque? Clear? Black? Mesh?

If their fins are tearing, remove them back into their "tanks"(hopefully they are at least 2 gallons each) and i would save up (if you can) for a bigger tank(look on craigslist) preferably 10 gallons minimum if you plan on dividing?

If they MUST be in that tank, try putting some silk plants flush up against the divider(really close) to obscure the view to the other betta.

Good luck! I hoped i helped a little!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:18 PM   #4 
ukandy

also has he caught his tail on a decoration or similar? Keep an eye on him to make sure his isnt biting it as well.
ukandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:21 PM   #5 
cjz96

Thanks! I have put fake plants and a cave (each) in the middle. The divider looks like a black fence.. I'm thinking maybe he split it on the plant? I tried getting the softest in the store. Should I remove it? Maybe the other betta tried to nip at his tail? I will look into getting a 10 gallon tank.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:36 PM   #6 
battered

If bettas flare too much, they can risk blowing out their fins until there are holes in them. Can the bettas see each other through the fence?
battered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #7 
cjz96

Yes, they can see eachother. I have placed some plants there to block their view a little. But they found away around that. -_- I'm not sure where I can get an opake divider since the filter is only on one side and needs a divider with holes.