Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2012, 06:49 AM   #1 
Freyja
Banned

Stupid fishkeeper rant

And I use the term fishkeeper loosely. A lady came to the Petsmart with her two kids when I was looking at the boys during lunch break. The kids asked her if they could add a betta to their 5 gallon tank that already has other fishies in it. She said no because bettas have to be alone and besides "they don't last long anyway". I got irate but politely told her that bettas last at least a year. She replied that they really aren't that hardy and I told her "well if you took care of it properly...". Lo and behold she was there to get more fish because some of the fish in her tank had died. I was so tempted to point out the fact that her tank is sorely overstocked and her ignorance as to fishkeeping. Her blase attitude was what got me the worse.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #2 
Turtle4353

There are always the 'goldfish in a bowl people' as I call them. And I noticed that your location is Puerto Rico and I love it there! I just got back from a trip there!
Turtle4353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:32 PM   #3 
teeneythebetta

happens all the time.. :(

oh well the good thing is that she didnt torture a betta... poor other fish tho
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #4 
Leeniex

I was talking to a mom whose teenaged daughter keeps 2 bettas in a half gallon tank, and she has NEVER changed the water.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #5 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeniex View Post
I was talking to a mom whose teenaged daughter keeps 2 bettas in a half gallon tank, and she has NEVER changed the water.
How?? How long has she had them?
Did u knock some sense into her? xD
Old 07-31-2012, 03:51 PM   #6 
Leeniex

Sounds like months to me. I gave the stupid mom my usual speech but all she would say was "I keep telling her to change the water". Lazy slobs.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeniex View Post
Sounds like months to me. I gave the stupid mom my usual speech but all she would say was "I keep telling her to change the water". Lazy slobs.
Well they will die soon from ammonia posioning. That's so sad.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #8 
CharStarr

When I went to PJ Pets to purchase my 5 gallon tank, I was talking to the Fish/Reptile Manager about bettas and I hadn't heard of this forum yet so I was asking him questions about water changes and such. He told me not to worry too much about water changes, that he just lets LOTS of the water evaporate until theres like 25% left and then he fills it back up. I was absolutely SHOCKED. He's the MANAGER of the fish department and he's giving this advice to people? Also telling them that bettas get stressed if they are in tanks that are too big.
CharStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:42 PM   #9 
JackisLost

i may sound dumb when i say this, but people that keep fish and have it die on them it's what makes our hobby live on (they will buy more than the average good keeper). if everybody had fish that stayed around for years, nobody will buy the stock, the business will be low, and eventually it would be rare to get fish. i'm playing devils advocate, i know fish care is essential.
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:47 AM   #10 
deso

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackisLost View Post
i may sound dumb when i say this, but people that keep fish and have it die on them it's what makes our hobby live on (they will buy more than the average good keeper). if everybody had fish that stayed around for years, nobody will buy the stock, the business will be low, and eventually it would be rare to get fish. i'm playing devils advocate, i know fish care is essential.
You don't sound dumb at all. What you say is the truth of things, the "disposable fish mentality" keeps the aquarium business running, unfortunately. A good fish keeper has high initial expenses (heater, water conditioner, test kit, quality food, etc), but as time goes on, he/she will not need to buy much at all compared to a person who kills a fish with neglect every six months or so.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote