Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #1 
gn3ranger

Exclamation Betta has gone insane!!

My betta Phillip has always gotten along with my cories for about 1 month now, but today he puffed out his gills crazy and went straight for my poor cories chasing them all over the place mainly the emerald cory's. what could've triggered this?
gn3ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:27 PM   #2 
gn3ranger

Phillip has been given a time out for about 20 minutes and has resumed his peaceful behavior I cranked up the temp to 81 degrees just to make him chill out XD. he's in a 10 gallon tank if your wondering.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:09 PM   #3 
gn3ranger

Ok another update Phillip has gone back to puffy gill attack mode I will purchase a 10 gallon tank divider from petco tomorrow.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #4 
Thomasdog

He's not insane, jjust becoming territorial. When his gills puff up, it's called 'flaring' and that means he is mad/being territorial.
Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:41 PM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yeah Betta are like that its normal for them to act that way. He would be best in his own tank. I have a 5 gallon for mine and he loves it, might even have to upgrade him to a 10 gallon sometime, he just has so much fun swimming around and exploring his home.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:43 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

81 degrees is bad for cories, it'll shorten their life span. You gotta go to the lower end of their temperature range and keep it at 76-77F.
This probably isn't the only time this has happened. Fish act very different when their owner isn't infront of the tank. If you stand 5-6 feet away and watch for a long time you get a better idea of what goes on in the tank.
When I had my cories in with a betta he'd attack them every time they surfaced for air, otherwise he ignored them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:00 PM   #7 
reggie oaks

In my opinion, SINCE Corys have bony plates at the sides, it is almost unlikely they suffer serious damage by a betta, I would not be so worried about the corys.
reggie oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:02 PM   #8 
gn3ranger

The temp will be taken down back to their comfort zone of 76 degrees in about 4-5 hrs i only like changing 2 degree's per hour phillip will be in quarantine tank for the night until i get a divider tomorrow so they can each have 5 gallons to themselves. Yea the most aggressive thing he did to the cories before today was chase them for about 1 second so he could eat their shrimp pellets. Now he like tried to hunt them down well phillip will get his own space in the tank now lol. I was gonna buy a 20 gallon for them later on this month but i don't think i will. I rather buy more filtration so the divider doesn't lower it or slow it down. On the upside Now i can actually use the quiet flow filter for the cory's side and when i get my new spong filter itll go with the betta's side.

By the way these were rescued cory's I had no intention of ever owning them my friends tank broke and he was gonna throw them away but i took them in a while back. i guess the only thing the betta will have on his side of the tank will be 1 ghost shrimp since he completely ignores him lol.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:05 PM   #9 
gn3ranger

@reggie my betta literally would lunge at the cories moving the gravel when he missed them making rocks move everywhere he never got a shot on my cories but i saw his intentions and i will not take the chance of not dividing them. I've never seen him puff his gills out like that I thought he was sick but as said above its just territorial. Plus it kinda makes me sad seeing the innocent cories scavenging for food minding their own business and then wam betta attack. :(
Old 08-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #10 
gn3ranger

Quick question do bettas get more aggressive with higher temps? because I usually have the tank at 75-76 degree's and today was my 1st time going past 75 degrees.