Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #1 
Seki

Is Stress Coat A Good Conditioner?

Hey all, I am looking to change my water conditioner because I am not a fan of how much I have to use of the one I have right now. I have been looking for Prime (because I see everyone here uses it), but my LPS doesn't carry it. I have seen that they carry Stress Coat (either by API or TopFin, I'm not sure) and I've seen on here that a lot of people use that. My question is: is it alright to use Stress Coat as a regular conditioner? My betta is showing no signs of distress or anything like that, he seems perfectly happy. Would using Stress Coat as a normal conditioner be bad for him, then?

Also, if stress Coat isn't a good option, can anyone suggest some other good conditioners? Right now I am using TopFin Betta conditioner. What I dislike is that it instructs me to use 48 drops per gallon! I know my LPS carries Tetra water conditioner and Aqueon water conditioner. neither is specified for bettas, although they are labeled as safe for freshwater.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:55 PM   #2 
Kenny G

Stress coat is not a conditioner for water. Your best bet is to use Prime. You will only need 2 drops per 1 US gallon. It's about 9.73 for a 8.5fl oz bottle. You can order it online from amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Seachem-436-Pr...=seachem+prime It's well worth the shipping charge. It will last you for a good long time.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:05 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I use Aqueon Water Conditioner and its 2 drops per gallon I called the number on the bottle to be sure cause on the bottle it only had directions for 10 gallons. My local shop doesnt have Prime either.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:46 PM   #4 
Shadyr

StressCoat+ IS a water conditioner. They do sell a product that is JUST for the slimecoat, but StressCoat+ is both. It's what I use, and I've had no issues with it.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:08 PM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

http://www.apifishcare.com/products/...x?ProductID=46
also by api and is 1drop/gal
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:30 PM   #6 
Kenny G

You are correct and I should have clarified further and explained why Prime hands down is a much better choice than Stress Coat with Water Conditioner.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...ges/Prime.html
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote