Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2012, 05:17 PM   #1 
Link592

Exclamation Finrot

Hi, I am Lily and I am asking this question on my friends account, she is with my at the moment & logged me on and gave me permission it's because I don't have an email and in great need of help.

Recently I got a blue, green, red Betta half moon and haven't cleaned his water in 2 weeks or longer this is due to me not having the right supplies for him, so when I finally got the supplies after cleaning his tank I notice my Betta was developing black on his fins, and it was finrot! I got very upset, and thought maybe it'll go away. The fin rot didn't effect him for weeks now, but since yesterday he swims in a circle like a dog chasing it's tail and he bites it. He does this every minute, I am not 100% sure if my fish really has finrot but I think he does, or it's because of boredom he lives in a small tank I got from Pet Habitat it has a little feeding slot and it pretty much looks like it's much better for bugs :L Pet Habitat, the one I go to doesn't sell anything pretty much! Mostly on dog supplies and cats and insects. They barley had fish tanks and when they did it was small ones like the one I have.

He doesn't have a heater, and his water is very cold, he does swim around a lot, I just hate watching him bite his tail if it's finrot. I only have for him is a net, fake plant [I do not use since it's way to spikey.] NUTRAFIN basix betta food, Hartz tropical flakes [I only feed him this if I ever run out of food, which I haven't so he has never eaten flakes besides one day.] Nutrafin waste control, Nutrafin Aqua plus + Nurtafin cycle, this is all I have for him.....

I have a 10 gallon and a 20 gallon I recently gotten 3 days ago, I am going to be setting it up soon once I find a spot for it and the right supplies I need, but I don't know when that will be or I don't know if my mom is going to want to keep it since we have no room for it, and it's big and my mom might get mad if only one fish is living in it. So, we might get him a 5 gallon tank.....

Anyways, what should I do? I live 4 hours away from a Pet Store, and if you ask me "How did I get my fish and stuff from him" I got the tank at Pet Habitat when I was visiting a close mall before & bought Royal from Aquabid...
Link592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:26 PM   #2 
Link592

I would also like to mention, whenever I am using a pencil doing my homework and Royal is watching, he stares at the pencil and comes close to the plastic and starts flaring, and his gills stick out wide.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:42 PM   #3 
Maura

Your fish definitely has fin rot if you have a small home for him and haven't changed the water in over two weeks. He needs clean water ASAP. Might I suggest ordering your supplies online, since you live so far away from a pet store?

If you cannot take proper care of your fish, please find him another home.
Maura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:01 PM   #4 
reggie oaks

75 to 82 or 86 degrees fahrenheit is the temperature range for keeping bettas. I'm under the impression that temperature may be an issue here. Check temperature quickly and if too cold, you will need a heater.
reggie oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:07 PM   #5 
reggie oaks

http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com...a-fin-rot.html
For identifying fin rot vs. normal fins this site may be of help. And don't be shy and go ahead. Change at least 75% water. All you need is water, water conditioner for chlorine neutralization and some small glass. Good luck !!!!!
reggie oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:31 AM   #6 
Link592

We are getting him a new home [Tank] I can never let my Betta go, that is why I wish to not rehome him I do understand that I am not giving him the proper care he needs, I researched him before I wanted a betta, that's what made me buy him. It's just that I rushed to get things and decided to not go shopping with my mom but my friends, she even said to get a bigger tank. I like to mention, he has always been in cold water ever since I had him even when he was shipped to me the heat pack didn't work, and he was very lucky and made it through I don't know how but he did. The water is not super cold, but it is cold I do clean his water but how much should I clean, and how do I do a 75% water change he has a small tank, so is it any different?

I will get him a new tank, just got to figure out the space & everything for him, again I am still a new betta owner & learning from my mistakes is there anyway I can get rid of it without stress coat, and items like that? I don't think there is in Canada, there isn't much stuff for fish now these days in Canada, and when there is it isn't much good items, or a limit to what we have.

So how can I get rid of it without any supplies?

I will try my best, to order online shipping takes long but I am up for it.

Tags
help!