Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal
What temperature is your tank? 76 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Fiddler Crab

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Pellets, Flakes and occasional bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 35%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has a little blister looking thing above one of his gills. Fin rot is in place but being healed
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Stays towards the top of the tank more.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago, or Yeasterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, I don't know how.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Fin Rot from walmart.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not a clue, he is fully grown, walmart rescue.

I think it might be Ich but I'm not sure myself. He's had fin rot since I got him, not treating it with any medicines, but I am keeping him in a healthy stress free environment, or hope I am.

If anybody thinks it's the Fiddler crab attacking him, I won't say it's not happening I do think it isn't very likely. The fiddler crab fears Delta, so he stays ~5 inches away at all times, when I put them to bed, the crab crawls on either the heater or the filter intake part, while Delta sleeps in his house decor.
vP H O T O Nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

I'm not an expert by any means, but 76 sounds kind of chilly. That wouldn't explain the blister though. Sorry, but I'm sure someone else can help you more than I can.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Doesn't a Fiddler Crab need land, too? And 76F is actually an OK temperature for Bettas IMO/E. Lebron used to be in that temperature until I bought another heater. A picture will tell what it is. If it's Ich, it will multiply quickly so it won't be just the spot above his gill.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #4 
MSG

I think it's your fiddler crab poking the betta while he sleeps.

Crabs are more active @ night. Perfect time to jab the betta if he's "sleeping".

I would be curious to see what your tank looks like.

I do think fiddlers need access to the surface to survive.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:16 AM   #5 
vP H O T O Nv

The tank actually stays at 78-80, my heater just starts working at or below 76 degrees.

As for the crab, I had floating platform type things in the tank, my other crabs liked them, this one doesn't he prefers to crawl up the plant's. So you are correct about them needing surface, how they get it varies.

@MGS

I did get more bamboo, and I made it so all the leaves are breaking the surface. That is just how it looked a couple days ago. I will try to get a more up to date picture soon, but I spaced out paying my phone bill, and don't get paid for for a couple weeks. anyways the crab will get up onto the Bamboo, heater, and the filter system.
vP H O T O Nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #6 
MSG

Cool looking tank, I can see how you're trying to make the bamboo look like the trees & I love that house ornament.

Only thing is I don't think your bamboo is going to last long before it starts to rot & ruin the water. My bamboo always got fungus growing on it, so ended up tossing it.

Are you housing the crowntail female in the same 10 gallon tank?

Also you may want to take that house to see if it has any sharp edges or small holes your betta may get stuck in.

I've seen them, WANTED To buy it badly but I think the girls might get stuck in windows.

You should pick up a nice anubias congensis or amazon sword that's about 9" tall.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote