Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #11 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggie6347 View Post
Assassin snails do breed, but very, very slowly...if I'm correct they lay 1 egg at a time, then the newborns will bury themselves under the substrate for the first few months. Ive had assassins for a while now...I've never had a baby. (thats IME, anyway).
Not a snail expert either myself, just know how to take care of them though, but i never used assassins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish
Just tie a thin cloth or pantyhose around the filter intake to keep snailies out.
Would you like to elaborate on this method? I am not sure i understand it.
Arent the snails reproducing by sticking eggs on various places (substrate, plants, decoration, glass etc) ? How do you prevent them from breeding?
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #12 
Pogthefish

no, the OP just said the snails were getting into he filter
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #13 
VictorP

First you could buy a harsh chemical. I think there is a product called Snail-Rid that contains Copper Sulfate, a chemical that is notorious for being risky to use around fish. Aquari-Sol is sold in many stores that sell pet fish. It will kill snails, but it is harsh, risky for other fish, and may contain copper sulfate. I can't quite remember. But I would not use it, and I would not recommend it, and it is not natural.

Another idea might be to use Aquarium Salt, NaCl, because salt will kill garden snails, and Aquarium Salt is very useful in aquariums and ponds. But small snails that infest aquariums can tolerate a high concentration of Aquarium Salt. So Aquarium Salt is not going to help you get rid of your snails.

Yoyo Loach will also eat all the snails quickly. In fact I think a Yoyo Loach will probably eat all the snails more quickly than the Clown Loaches. But both types of Loaches will do a great job of eating all the snails right out of their shells. Then you'll need to net the shells and remove them from your aquarium.
A Yoyo Loach will not get as big as a Clown Loach only about 5 inches, and Yoyo Loaches seem to be happy in a group with 3 or more Yoyo Loaches. A group of three will do fine in a smaller aquarium with only 20 to 30 gallons of water.
VictorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #14 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
no, the OP just said the snails were getting into he filter
Ops missed that. Sorry :)
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #15 
Silverfang

avoid chemicals if you have shrimp, otherwise it will likely kill the population
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #16 
Meggie6347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
avoid chemicals if you have shrimp, otherwise it will likely kill the population
If it were me, I'd avoid the chemicals altogether...it's very harsh on the fish.
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:17 AM   #17 
Pogthefish

In some of my tanks, I have literally taken out all the fish, and poured bleach in, then done fie BILLION water changes, scrubbed down everything, poured in a bottle of tap water conditioner, and plopped the fish back in. Tap water conditioner detoxifies bleach ^_^
Old 08-02-2012, 01:43 AM   #18 
JackisLost

i remember i had one snail that turned into 50 in about a 2 week period inside my 14 gallon. took me 2 months of smash on sight to get rid of all the snails. now that i know how bothersome snails are, i use a critter keeper for new plants before i put into a main tank. 3 times a day, morning, before work, and at night when i get home. i hate snails.
JackisLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:39 AM   #19 
Pogthefish

I qt in a small betta tank
Old 08-02-2012, 05:23 AM   #20 
Twilight Storm

I know the snails are bothering you, I have small snails in a few of my tanks their populations control themselves in my case. I don't have an established planted tank though. My plants are all just tossed in the water to float or anchored on wood. If a lot of babies are born they don't make it to adulthood usually. They get suctioned out in water changes or my bettas may eat some of the tiny ones.

I did notice that my mystery snail is laying eggs right now. Perhaps it's just a breeding season for snails?

I honestly don't know how you can get rid of them safely except the zucchini/cucumber method. Maybe put the veggie in a net and leave the net in there so they are all inside the net on the veggie for easy pick up? Good luck getting rid of your excess snails though.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote