Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2012, 03:59 AM   #1 
vP H O T O Nv

New Betta, supposedly aggressive.

Okay, so I got myself a new friend today. Happens to be pretty sick with fin rot, So I am going to try to nurse him back to health, if he pulls through, and doesn't die from some mishap, I would like to get him in a communal tank.

The lady at Walmart in which I obtained this little fellow said that he was aggressive, but they put him in a tank filled with tiger barbs, which they are aggressive, tend to bite at other fishes tails. (My girlfriend male sword tail got his tail ripped off by one.) Pretty sure he lost a lot of his fins by that as well. I assume he got aggressive from them attacking him.

As I was saying though, I would like to put him in a communal tank, but I want to try to get him used to other fish around him before I actually do that. So are there any fish, that are cheap, can stand tropical heat, and can be used as testers. I'm thinking Guppies I think they stay in the 76-78 degree heat but I don't know.

Any suggestions?
vP H O T O Nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:24 AM   #2 
magnum

I would try 5+ neon tetra's. They are cheap, and you can always re-locate them if necassary.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #3 
laoshun

tiger barbs are naturally aggressive so adding those 2 is a mismatch. pairing with uppies is 50/50 depending on the betta's attitude.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #4 
MSG

I would focus on healing his wounds first. If he survives then revisit the community option. You should have at least 2-3 weeks before I would risk putting him through another stressful situation where he'll have to deal with other fish.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:35 AM   #5 
vP H O T O Nv

Quote:
Originally Posted by laoshun View Post
tiger barbs are naturally aggressive so adding those 2 is a mismatch. pairing with uppies is 50/50 depending on the betta's attitude.
I know they are aggressive. The lady at walmart told me that he was in the tank with the Tiger barbs, and they would fight, till they noticed his tail started going shrinking, that's when they moved him to the Glow Fish tank.

They said he was aggressive but I don't know, guppies are cheap, and for no better words I can use, expendable. IMO I would do minnows but they need cold water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
I would focus on healing his wounds first. If he survives then revisit the community option. You should have at least 2-3 weeks before I would risk putting him through another stressful situation where he'll have to deal with other fish.
I had full intention of doing that, right now, he isn't to active, but he is getting color back, from the looks of it Black body with a steel blue tail. Hasn't ate much but is eating. I know it's going to be a while till he can actually get out of the hospital tank, giving me time to get him a new larger tank, and what not.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #6 
MSG

Do try to take pictures every other day or so. That way you can track it's progress.

My halfmoon is pretty timid, & only started to bite his fins after I removed him for EATING all my guppy fry & 2 dozen or so shrimp.

He seems to enjoy tankmates, because he knows he's king and and can eat them if he wants to.

I've never seen him show any signs of aggression towards any of the fish or shrimp, but I know he ate them.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #7 
vP H O T O Nv

I'm going to request a thread close.

Omega passed about 8am this morning my time. Just to much was wrong with the poor guy. The walmart tank he was in had fish TB found that out today, along with his tail/fin rot and getting swim bladder sometime yesterday, by time I caught it, it was already to late.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #8 
ukandy

sorry to hear this at least you made his last hours happyish for him
ukandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #9 
vP H O T O Nv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukandy View Post
sorry to hear this at least you made his last hours happyish for him
I don't know if living in a hospital tank was exactly happiest, but he did warm up to me as soon as I got him home. At least he knew I was going to try to heal him.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #10 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by vP H O T O Nv View Post
I'm going to request a thread close.

Omega passed about 8am this morning my time. Just to much was wrong with the poor guy. The walmart tank he was in had fish TB found that out today, along with his tail/fin rot and getting swim bladder sometime yesterday, by time I caught it, it was already to late.
aww im so sorry.
bleach everything he touched. id throw away the gravel. fish TB is contagious to humans and to other fish.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote