Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2012, 03:09 AM   #1 
vP H O T O Nv

Just a little rant

Nothing big, just want to say that I have almost fallen in love with cory's. A few days ago a tiger barb was added to the community tank, that tiger ended up eating the long part of my swordtails tail.

Since this happened I've noticed that the tank has split into 3 group type things, The sword tail/cherry something go and hide with the Cory if the tiger barb gets aggressive, the and the neon tetra's. Since the tiger barb tends to get aggressive from time to time he will chase the cherry and swordtail. They go and hide in a skull decor, that my cory lives in. The second my cory see's the Tiger any where close to his skull he will come out and chase the tiger barb away head butt him a few times them go back to the skull. The tiger barb doesn't do it again.

I also noticed that my Cory hates the tetra's I think he feels they will ruin his skull, because when they come into the skull and he notices he will head butt at them to get rid of them.
vP H O T O Nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:49 AM   #2 
mkayum

Tiger barbs are known for their fin nipping. I would advise you to remove them to give your swordtail a break. It's not good for tiger barbs to stay cause other fish'll be in stress and possible might die.
mkayum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:16 AM   #3 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Agree - tiger barbs are notorious fin nippers. All of your fish are stressed out and both barbs and corys do best in groups.

Stress can kill your fish as well. It's a good idea to get rid of the barb and to get your cory 3 or more friends.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:39 AM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

Tiger barbs do best when you have at least six of them. While they are known fin nippers, yours is probably stressed by the fact it is by itself.

I would advise researching a little on each fish before you purchase it. Schooling and shoaling fish really need to be kept in groups as it is a natural behaviour for them and as you can see, can cause problems if not done.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote