Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #11 
ChardFish

Water quality and additives can affect bubble nests- clean water retains surface tension, allowing the bubbles to form. If water quality falls, bubbles are not maintained and no matter how hard Mr. Betta tries, he won't be decorating. But quite often I will find my males suddenly without nests, even in clean water and having had one the day before. I have some that have never bothered to blow a single bubble, no matter how long I tease them with a female. Sometimes another male around will stimulate them into building, as they use them as a marker for territory as well- fish fight and dominant or winning fish will drive away the loser and assume the nest. In short, what Hallyx said was correct. They can be perfectly happy without ever being inclined to build a nest. One thing though, if you have a less-dominant betta and you want him to start building, you might try a mirror. Let him scare away a few "strangers" and he may start feeling more confident and claim his space. :) I also have noticed that my females will make nests when they are ready to breed, and I assume this has to do with the urge to spawn under a nest, because they usually cease after spawning.
ChardFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #12 
ChardFish

Quote:
I notice he keeps trying, and I also noticed if they flare more, they build more.. so after I started using the mirror, they are building a few more here and there.. that must pump em up for mating..hmm, I wonder..
I love when another member validates what I am typing, while I type it! :) Great minds think alike, huh, Lelei?
Old 07-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #13 
lelei

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChardFish View Post
I love when another member validates what I am typing, while I type it! :) Great minds think alike, huh, Lelei?

LOL..too funny..yes I beleive they do..hahaha// and it's soo funny watching my lil Sapph..he blows a few, and like a kid is like wow..I did that..and wants more,, but then he just is like ehh, ok that's enough, then when I get him to flare..omg..he is a trip, he flares and zooms around then in a few minutes later, after I take the mirror out..he goes right to the top to start blowing away..I love it..it's soo funny..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #14 
ChardFish

Isnt that funny? I have mine set up so the males can see females on either side, but at the right angle, they catch a glimpse of another male, and they are so funny to watch! They flirt with the girls, then suddenly, "Hey, hey you! I think I see you!" Blow bubble bubble bubble madly for a bit, then back to flirting... "See what I did right there? Bubbles, baby, yeah!" :) I literally watch my fish for hours! And my sorority is my favorite tank to watch. Its like high school. They avoid each other most of the time, then when I come around, they all three come to the front, and very obviously pretend to ignore each other for the sake of food. And I hand-feed them, so everyone eats enough. And they act like three girls who hate each other but have to sit together at lunch. HAHAHAH!
Old 07-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #15 
ukandy

Heres todays new build
Attached Images

ukandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:00 PM   #16 
ChardFish

Beautiful fish! He is teh same color orange as my Trigger-fish :)
Old 07-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #17 
Greylady

Ooooohhhhh so pretty! What kind is he?
Greylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #18 
ukandy

hes a HM
ukandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #19 
Greylady

Quote: