Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #11 
AquaKai

It's ok, but usually they use the strips. I would just get the kit. The money you"ll save in gas would be enough to pay off the kit. Ok, maybe not if you live next door to Petsmrt, which would be awesome and bad-too many fish way too close.
AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #12 
Bettafish

its a five minute drive to my petsmart :D thats why its hard not go by there everyday and "look" at the fishies
Bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #13 
Bettafish

Oh also i noticed that the filters are this bio carbon thing. are u sure i dont replace them?
Old 07-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #14 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
well if i just take the water to petsmart for testing is that okay?
When cycling you need to test every day. So if you want to take water to petsmart every day... O.o
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #15 
Bettafish

sigh i was hoping to get my tank cycling today but now i gotta wait till i can order that stupid water kit he suggested
Old 07-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #16 
reggie oaks

Water chemistry is Dynamic

Quote:
Water parameters can change too much when water is out of its more normal and relatively stable setting of an aquarium. The moment you get a small sample out of the tank, lack of filter and oxygen affects bacteria and other microorganisms living there. This in turn, changes the quantity and quality of metabolites and by-products of bacterial activity. WHEN WATER arrives to petsmart, it is another water, not the original sample.
reggie oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #17 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
I COMPLETELY agree with aquakai, except I do bigger water changes. Petsmart, from what I understand typically uses the strips. While you are cycling you will need to test your water frequently. If you stick with a fish LESS cycle it won't be as important but if you do a fish IN cycle it is extremely important to test your water daily. I have a 10g tank that has been fish IN cycling for a month, every day the ammonia has been .25 or slightly less, this past Sunday I tested the water .5 - 1 of ammonia & I had done a 50% water change on Saturday. I do at least a 50% water change weekly on my 10g established tank. The two tanks I have fish IN cycling are averaging 50% water changes every couple of days, sometimes more depending on my water test results. If you don't test your water frequently, regardless of fish LESS or fish IN, you won't know if your tank is cycling properly or when it has completed the cycling process. Just my thoughts and experience.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #18 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
sigh i was hoping to get my tank cycling today but now i gotta wait till i can order that stupid water kit he suggested
Are you going with a fish IN or fish LESS cycle, I don't think you've answered that question yet? When I set up my last two tanks I did not have the API Test Kit yet so I made sure to do 50% water changes at least every other day because I was doing a fish IN cycle. You can set everything up & get it started just be hyper vigilent if you are going with a fish IN cycle.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #19 
Bettafish

Finnaly got thetank set up and now its cycling. question. should there be the electric cords for the filter and heater in the water? it kinda freaks me out...
Old 08-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #20 
LebronTheBetta

YOU DON'T NEED A TEST KIT. And if the cord is hardly in the water, it's OK. Part of my heater's cord is in the water.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote