Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #11 
MSG

Well if the picture wasn't clear, I wouldn't have noticed. Blurry unfocused photos hurt my eyes.

AK... Oh yeah, if you pulled up your window shade all the way, your pictures would have come out more focused.

If you didn't post those pictures in the beginning your betta would have been in worse shape by now.

1. To make a quick baffle, get a good pair of scissors & cut the top & bottom off a plastic water bottle.
  2. Then cut the middle of the bottle on 1 side and clip it onto the area where the filter shoots the water back into the tank.
  3. Trim off any excess to make it fit.
  4. You may need to find something to clip it onto the filter so it stays in place.

Don't know what kind of filter you're using but model number would be helpful.

Also, you don't want to turn off the filter for too long or you'll kill the beneficial bacteria.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #12 
Akuinnen

Thank you all SO much! He is now in his PetCo cup with clean water and a tiny bit of Aquarium salt. I had also noticed the red tips and wanted to be on the safe side.
Here is his updated tank, with river rocks and two new fake plants. Does the one on the left look safe for bettas? It's made of soft plastic, the other two are silk. He was only in with the plants for a couple minutes before I moved him to the PetCo cup.

Akuinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #13 
Akuinnen

MSG: I totally know what you mean now, with long-finned bettas! I thought I'd just be getting a fish to add to the tropical tank my friend gave me, but I ended up spending around $70 on him and his accessories! He's totally worth it though, I love him way too much to let myself make any first-time pet owner mistakes. :)

Twilight Storm: I'd be worried about the tetra and zebra danio if I'd seen them attack the betta even once, but so far I've never seen them chase or nip him. Unless they're doing it when the lights are off?

Pataflafla: Thanks so much for the advice! I wish I had seen your post before I made the trip to the pet store. I'll be getting some Stress Coat as soon as I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Well if the picture wasn't clear, I wouldn't have noticed. Blurry unfocused photos hurt my eyes.
AK... Oh yeah, if you pulled up your window shade all the way, your pictures would have come out more focused.
If you didn't post those pictures in the beginning your betta would have been in worse shape by now.
  1. To make a quick baffle, get a good pair of scissors & cut the top & bottom off a plastic water bottle.
  2. Then cut the middle of the bottle on 1 side and clip it onto the area where the filter shoots the water back into the tank.
  3. Trim off any excess to make it fit.
  4. You may need to find something to clip it onto the filter so it stays in place.

Don't know what kind of filter you're using but model number would be helpful.
Also, you don't want to turn off the filter for too long or you'll kill the beneficial bacteria.
Thanks for all the help! I wish I knew the filter type, but it came with the tank my friend gave me. I'm not at home but will see if I can find some more details on it when I get back. I'll also definitely try your baffler idea! The filter is on right now, since he's not currently in the tank.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #14 
MSG

That's why you plan things ahead of time.

When you do things impulsively without thinking, you end up overpaying for EVERYTHING. That's what the petstores want you to do.

The larger pet stores have sales EVERY week. Usually every month or 2 they have a MAJOR sale. Unless it's an emergency, wait till something you WANT is on sale before you buy it.

I paid $27 or $32 for my first submersible heater at a small locally owned pet store & when I realized I overpaid about $10-$15 I was pissed. I didn't get an allowance at all, so that was painful.

Your tank looks much better @ night & at first I thought your plants were real, but they're definitely not.

You should have bought some live plants if you went to the store.

Last time I've gone to the LFS, I've compared prices and the fake ones are more expensive than the real plants.

The only thing with live plants is you might have to QT them for a while so they don't introduce any parasites/diseases, etc.....

Also you have to use a digital timer so the lights turn on for 8-10hours a day. They sell for $5-$10 in most places, but you can get them for $1 if you're lucky.

But in the long term, live plants are better for the fish. Since you already have the 10G, you should consider at least 1 live plant.

• Oh, just noticed you have a magnet glass cleaner. Instead of leaving it on the bottom, put it higher on the surface. Leave it 2" from the top. Try to clip something behind the magnet to see if your betta will use it as a perch/bed/hangout.
  • It's a pretty strong magnet, so it should be able to hold something that the betta can use as a shortcut to the surface. An old tupperware lid that you're missing the bottom for would work great.
  • I think that would work better than those stupid betta leaf beds that retail for $5.

http://www.petco.com/product/119651/...&mr:adType=pla

NICE! I think you have the Fluval Power Filter. From the picture I can see the orange/red basket.

http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-14003-Fl.../dp/B003SJXTIU

No wonder the fins are torn. That's one of the filters I've had my eye on. I love the look and design of it.

• Let me know what model you have. But it's a really good filter from what I've read so far.

I would gladly trade you two of my filters & heater for that one.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #15 
Kim

Personally, I would not have put him in the cup. How are you heating it? Not only will waste build up extremely quickly, but the stress of both moving and the constant 100% water changes necessary to keep ammonia down will be very stressful. If it's not heated that will just add to the problem.

Since it doesn't appear to be fin rot, I'd just have baffled the filter, covered the intake tube with some nylon or a sponge, and done some extra 25% water changes throughout the week. You could also add some stress coat to the tank. I haven't really used it enough to say anything about the product, but it is relatively mild and others seem to like it, and it won't hurt your other fish.

Also keep an eye out for tail biting, which seems to be a big problem for many long-finned types of bettas.

Hope you figure out what the problem is...seeing those gorgeous fins get shredded is just so frustrating!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #16 
Akuinnen

MSG: Thanks again for all the advice! I wish there was a section for advice on buying bettas and products! At first I thought I'd be spending just the $3 on food and $3 on conditioner, but then his fins started fraying and I had to go get him all kinds of stuff to try and stop it. I will definitely be timing my spending with sales from now on!

I did see heaters for $10 though, but I didn't look very closely so maybe those were for smaller tanks? Right now my apartment is usually in the 80s, but I will look into one either once I can afford it, or the temperature starts going down.

For plants; there is a live one, it's the Japanese moss ball near the left. The others are fake, because the real ones were $6-11. I'll replace them as soon as I can spend the money on real ones though, I definitely want the benefit of less algae! Thanks for the idea with the magnet as well! I'll see what I can make into a betta hammock with it.

I'm glad the filter seems like a good one! It's a two stage filter that looks exactly like the picture. I will definitely baffle it either today or tomorrow, but I don't want to get rid of it since there are lots of beneficial bacteria that live in it.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #17 
Akuinnen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
Personally, I would not have put him in the cup. How are you heating it? Not only will waste build up extremely quickly, but the stress of both moving and the constant 100% water changes necessary to keep ammonia down will be very stressful. If it's not heated that will just add to the problem.

Since it doesn't appear to be fin rot, I'd just have baffled the filter, covered the intake tube with some nylon or a sponge, and done some extra 25% water changes throughout the week. You could also add some stress coat to the tank. I haven't really used it enough to say anything about the product, but it is relatively mild and others seem to like it, and it won't hurt your other fish.

Also keep an eye out for tail biting, which seems to be a big problem for many long-finned types of bettas.

Hope you figure out what the problem is...seeing those gorgeous fins get shredded is just so frustrating!
Thanks for the advice- I'm don't really like keeping him in his cup either, but I just wanted to keep him somewhere that he for sure wouldn't get more tears while he's healing for a few days. The 10 gallon just has so many variables that might be the problem: the filter, driftwood, fake plants, and other fish.

Is there a good way to do a 100% water change? I tried one this morning and he did seem stressed for a couple minutes but is doing fine now. I will look into getting some Stress Coat, but if it's not an emergency, I'd like to hold off until tomorrow after I pay rent.

Luckily, I don't think he's a tail biter, at least I've never seen him do it. You're totally right about how frustrating it is when their fins get frayed! I wish there wasn't so much "trial and error" to figuring out the cause of the problem and how to fix it.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #18 
MSG

You don't NEED stress coat. My bettas healed fine with just 1 teaspoon of kosher salt dissolved in 1 gallon of conditioned tap water.

FYI = I have 2 bettas that had severely damaged fins.

Senetti - purple/blue with major fins missing/scales ripped out, etc... had 1/2 tsp = half gallon.
BumbleBee - yellow had frayed fins like your male = she just had regular treated water.

Senetti healed faster with the salt.
BBee seems to have healed slower.

Senetti 3-4 days - I'm going to stop using salt on her on Sunday.
BBee - 2-3 days treatment - I just added a dissolved kosher salt solution to her water.

You don't have a clean rinsed out plastic container that's larger than the original betta cup?
Old 08-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #19 
Akuinnen

3-4 days with just the salt? Wow, that sounds much better than the month or so I'd imagined it would take! I just bought a 1/2 gallon container to put him in tomorrow when I change his water. It's still fairly small, but it's certainly better than the liter cup he's in.

On a side note, I was at Pet Expo yesterday and they have their bettas in crammed into cups that are even smaller than Walmart! They were about as wide as a regular drinking glass, and they didn't even have lids. Not to mention the store already had 40 or so bettas, but an employee was netting and tossing bettas from a new shipment of probably 40 or more into those tiny cups. I was pretty disappointed. :(
Old 08-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #20 
Kim

I'm glad you were able to get a larger container for him...since it's only a half gallon, you could probably float it right in your main tank so that he gets some heat. Also, since his water is separate you could add a dosage of aquarium salt if you think it's necessary. I didn't recommend it before because your neons are sensitive to salt, but your betta by himself will be fine with it. However, if his fins seem to be healing well without it, it's probably not necessary. How's he doing?
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote