Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #81 
Armani33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
Thanks so much for the advice! I appreciate every bit! Yesterday and today were my first times riding english, and first time riding bareback! I LOVE IT! I want to start jumping on the new horse we get if he is already trained.

UPDATE: We are thinking about an Appaloosa instead of the Saddlebred. From what we've heard he is in poor condition and needs proper care and a good home along with some TLC. He is a blue roan, and about 15 hands.
I love riding bareback as well and being summer is part draft she has a nice wide comfy back sort of like a horsey couch! I even like to lay on her bareback not when I'm moving of course haha.
Armani33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #82 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armani33 View Post
I love riding bareback as well and being summer is part draft she has a nice wide comfy back sort of like a horsey couch! I even like to lay on her bareback not when I'm moving of course haha.
isn't it? its like a whole new world!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #83 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancex View Post
Oh, and kicking a horse certainly DOES hurt them. Especially if it is a big, take your leg off all the way up to your knee then WHAM! type of kick. If you have to kick your horse you should be going back to basics as there are holes in the horse's or your training. Start doing w/t transitions to get the horse more responsive, and add a crop. Walk, ask for a trot with a squeeze, if the horse doesn't trot, stop squeezing and take the pressure off. Then try again with the reinforcement of the crop. The horse will learn that if he isn't listening to your aids they get reinforced by something else. Just kicking them leads to a horse dead to your aids.
I WOULD NEVERDO THAT to a living animal! I aslo can't believe how people use harsh or double bit

I am not talking about full-force kicking, just a "firm tap".

I use crops only when i HAVE to, and i am very conservative with my leg. I also would never jump alone, heck, i wouldn't ride alone! I would have an instructor, and yes, i have been riding for quite a while(3 years), and have cantered, go one trail, trotted, and practiced 2 point for over 2 1/2 years

Thanks everybody for the advice! I appreciate all the help tremendously!
Old 08-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #84 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armani33 View Post
MyRainbowBettaFish I don't even use a bit I ride Summer in a hackamore which is a type of bitless bridle amd it works just as good.
I ride the Hanoverian with a hackamore also, it works wonders and does less pain, in my opinion. I also have heard though that sense the horses most sensitive part on its body is its muzzle, or nose, when the hackamore puts pressure on the snout, it causes mild discomfort.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #85 
MyRainbowBettaFish

anybody go riding today?
Old 08-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #86 
Sundancex

I was out this morning in the god-awful heat. Yuck. Me and a boarder trailered to a local riding park/woods and hit the trails for an hour or so. I love the trails there, they range from easy wide paths to technically difficult trails with steep hills, jumps, steps, and winding in and out of trees, oh and cliffs!

Gotta love my boy, he was a superstar with the whole thing, despite my friend's mare being up his butt. I jumped him over a few xc fences, nothing big, everything was under 3 foot, but still, it was his first time over fences in awhile so he was good! We got back to the trailer to find a ton of trailers and about 20 horses, turns out a big group was heading out. I wished them luck...at 10:30 it was already sweltering and the horseflies were out in full force.

Word of advice on hackamores: please be careful. You may think that a hackamore is less severe than a bit but the action of a hackamore is actually very severe and can do more damage than a bit (broken nose) in the wrong hands. Unless you have been given specific instruction and ride with LIGHT contact, I would stay away from a hackamore. A light plastic/metal mullen mouth (straight bar) is a nice choice for a sensitive horse, as is a french link (which is what my QH who works 99% off my seat goes in).

A crop is a useful tool and not one to shy away from. It is a different form of reinforcement than legs, so a horse will respond better to it if it is dead to leg aids. Like any piece of equipment, it can cause damage if used incorrectly, but it doesn't have to hurt the horse!

Bareback is my favorite form of riding. Unless I'm jumping big fences or going on a long trail ride, I go bareback. Bridleless is fun too, it really tests your control of your horse. If you can't walk, trot, canter, and steer correctly with your legs and seat, you need to go back to basics.

Check out this video, this horse and rider combo are AMAZING. Link

And a few pics of my ponies...cuz I can't resist.

Krimpet, my QH...my first horse and my heart horse.

(excuse my terrible position, I think I was looking at something on the ground so I hunched my shoulders)

Bus...retired champion racehorse, won over half a million, then had a jumping career, and is now happily retired. He's 20.

He is the sweetest horse ever...I love him so much.

Please do not use these images for anything....they are copyrighted.
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #87 
Armani33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
I ride the Hanoverian with a hackamore also, it works wonders and does less pain, in my opinion. I also have heard though that sense the horses most sensitive part on its body is its muzzle, or nose, when the hackamore puts pressure on the snout, it causes mild discomfort.
Summer doesn't seem to mind the hackamore but if and when I get my own horse I would defiantly use either a really light bit or a hackamore.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #88 
Armani33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancex View Post
I was out this morning in the god-awful heat. Yuck. Me and a boarder trailered to a local riding park/woods and hit the trails for an hour or so. I love the trails there, they range from easy wide paths to technically difficult trails with steep hills, jumps, steps, and winding in and out of trees, oh and cliffs!

Gotta love my boy, he was a superstar with the whole thing, despite my friend's mare being up his butt. I jumped him over a few xc fences, nothing big, everything was under 3 foot, but still, it was his first time over fences in awhile so he was good! We got back to the trailer to find a ton of trailers and about 20 horses, turns out a big group was heading out. I wished them luck...at 10:30 it was already sweltering and the horseflies were out in full force.

Word of advice on hackamores: please be careful. You may think that a hackamore is less severe than a bit but the action of a hackamore is actually very severe and can do more damage than a bit (broken nose) in the wrong hands. Unless you have been given specific instruction and ride with LIGHT contact, I would stay away from a hackamore. A light plastic/metal mullen mouth (straight bar) is a nice choice for a sensitive horse, as is a french link (which is what my QH who works 99% off my seat goes in).

A crop is a useful tool and not one to shy away from. It is a different form of reinforcement than legs, so a horse will respond better to it if it is dead to leg aids. Like any piece of equipment, it can cause damage if used incorrectly, but it doesn't have to hurt the horse!

Bareback is my favorite form of riding. Unless I'm jumping big fences or going on a long trail ride, I go bareback. Bridleless is fun too, it really tests your control of your horse. If you can't walk, trot, canter, and steer correctly with your legs and seat, you need to go back to basics.

Check out this video, this horse and rider combo are AMAZING. Link

And a few pics of my ponies...cuz I can't resist.

Krimpet, my QH...my first horse and my heart horse.

(excuse my terrible position, I think I was looking at something on the ground so I hunched my shoulders)

Bus...retired champion racehorse, won over half a million, then had a jumping career, and is now happily retired. He's 20.

He is the sweetest horse ever...I love him so much.

Please do not use these images for anything....they are copyrighted.
Your horses are absolutely gorgeous! That picture of Krimpet out in the pasture is sooo pretty and bus is a very handsome boy =)
Old 08-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #89 
Aussie

I'm new. Just throught I'd introduce my STB Signy. He raced until 10 when I picked him up from his trainer through a friend of a friend. Wrought with a lot of emotional/physical problems we've been working through them. He's gone from a person hating anxious horse to a people tolerating and calmer horse. He's quite affectionate with me but in general he's still wary. We've moved to a new agistment centre and we're starting natural horsemanship lessons soon. Very exciting.

And just so you can compare, this is when I first got him

Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #90 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie View Post
i'm new. Just throught i'd introduce my stb signy. He raced until 10 when i picked him up from his trainer through a friend of a friend. Wrought with a lot of emotional/physical problems we've been working through them. He's gone from a person hating anxious horse to a people tolerating and calmer horse. He's quite affectionate with me but in general he's still wary. We've moved to a new agistment centre and we're starting natural horsemanship lessons soon. Very exciting.

and just so you can compare, this is when i first got him

he is gorgeous!

Tags
clydesdale, horse, horseback riding, horses, quarter horse