Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #1 
vP H O T O Nv

Cleaning Hospital Tank

My buddy I tried to nurse back to health passed away this morning, about 8am. In between all the stress of missing tails, Swim Bladder setting in after all the stores closed I could get ep. salt and what not. Plus the fish tank he was in at walmart got a strain of fish TB.

Thing is he was in my hospital tank, Soo I kind of don't want the TB to be in tank. Just for the fact that I have 2 other betta's and my girlfriend has a community tank.

So what is the best way for me to clean the tank and get rid of the nasty sickness that took the poor guys life?
vP H O T O Nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

You can't clean the tank. You need to throw it away. :( TB won't go away whether you use bleach or vinegar. Sorry about your loss. :'(
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #3 
Kim

Awww...so sorry to hear about your loss :( Sometimes you just can't save them, but at least he had a comfortable place to live out his last days. Poor guy :(

Bleach is the only thing I would trust to clean the tank with. Just read the directions on the bottle and use the appropriate amount to completely disinfect the tank. Then you can rinse it out well and let it dry in the sun (bleach evaporates).

Oops..didn't see the part about the TB...off to research that now.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #4 
ngrubich

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
You can't clean the tank. You need to throw it away. :( TB won't go away whether you use bleach or vinegar. Sorry about your loss. :'(
I respectfully disagree. A lot of methods have been suggested through the forums I am on and here are the most common ones:

1. bleach and hot water (usually done by putting the tank in the dishwasher if it will fit)
2. alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) soak
3. ammonia
4. Vinegar
5. Metracide or Flourish Excel sprayed on the walls

From what I have read through my research, no one of the 4 most common suggestions above will rid the tank of TB, a "combo punch" of bleach and either metracide or excel is your best bet (I actually just saw another member use the same reference in another thread earlier today). I'd let the tank sit for about a week to make sure nothing survives that.

With that being said, use gloves to ensure you don't end up with TB on your skin (especially if you have any cuts on your hands). Also, it may be more cost-effective to get a new tank, depending on it's size and price. I don't know how much time and effort you want to put into cleaning the tank, especially since it's not a 100% sure bet that the TB will be eradicated.

Last edited by ngrubich; 08-02-2012 at 06:02 PM.
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #5 
ngrubich

Here's a thread from another forum I dug up from my history for you to check out:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=164764

3 minute kill time? That stuff is no joke!
Old 08-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #6 
Enkil

Personally, I would scrap the tank. TB is not something I would mess with. The tank and all that was in it would be tossed. Better safe than sorry in my opinion.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #7 
ngrubich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkil View Post
Personally, I would scrap the tank. TB is not something I would mess with. The tank and all that was in it would be tossed. Better safe than sorry in my opinion.
Same here; not to mention that it would probably be more expensive and time consuming to clean everything rather than to start fresh.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #8 
Kim

After doing some research, I'd also probably throw away the tank. It just doesn't seem worth it to try and clean it...and then you'd still have that lurking fear that it wasn't completely eradicated.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:56 AM   #9 
vP H O T O Nv

Since it's just a 5 dollar bowl, scrapping it isn't bad.
vP H O T O Nv is offline   Reply With Quote