Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2012, 05:21 AM   #11 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
I heard from another thread that you got a 3 gallon. I would not sugest using a filter for the bacteria because they cannot maintain a stable cycle in a 3 gallon. You can use it for aeration though :D
Catch up, Pog. ;-}

Lots of us are running stable cycles in 2.5g and 3.0g tanks. (Someday, I'll cycle my 1g QT just to prove a point.)

If you run a filter, it's going to cycle eventually. It's best to be prepared and to do the proper testing and water changes.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #12 
Pogthefish

Hmm, maybe I should tr cycling my 2.5 ^_^
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:22 AM   #13 
Hallyx
Reference Team

For small tanks, I recommend fishless. Less opportunity for error.

Remember: you're cycling the filter, not the tank.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #14 
Oldfishlady

Beneficial bacteria responsible for the nitrogen cycle are sticky and adhere to all the surface areas within the tank-like on the walls, decorations, plants both fake and real and a lot is also in the top layer of the substrate as well as in the filter media-very little is in the water column itself...

The BB are self limiting-you will only have a colony large enough based on the bioload or food source in the tank, amount of dissolved oxygen created either by a filter, live plants or an airstone and the amount of surface area for the BB to colonize on.

The nitrogen cycle is more than just the filter media......it is the tank as a whole......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #15 
Hallyx
Reference Team

While the rest of the tank is an important repository for the nitrifying bacteria, in my estimation, because of the high water-flow through the filter media (assuming sufficient media), the filter has an influence on the cycle disproportionately higher than the rest of the tank.

An interesting experiment would be to scour a tank, then insert a cycled filter. Obversely, insert a new filter into a cycled tank. The objective: to see which recovers faster.

Tags
betta, snail, tank, water