Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #43831 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Tiki, we have that problem too. Our house is so old. But we're putting it in the basement so that's good. :D

I've never heard of that flea medication.. We've never had a flea problem. o-o
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #43832 
kfryman

Olympia, I wish I could have that big of a tank, heck even a 55 gallon. I could have way more possibilities.

I am thinking about trying my hand at an aquascape, but they can cost so much :(
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #43833 
Silverfang

I've never had flea problems... and we had three outdoor cats! Oh I miss them. At least Ashes has moved into the sometimes I'll be cuddly and snuggle with your feet phase.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #43834 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Olympia, I wish I could have that big of a tank, heck even a 55 gallon. I could have way more possibilities.

I am thinking about trying my hand at an aquascape, but they can cost so much :(

Cost? Honestly, I can't afford this kind of set up. Driftwood would be a small tree, plus a ton of rocks and sand. The only thing I'm buying is the sand. Everything else is too ridiculously expensive so I'm going gathering. I had no luck with small driftwood but maybe I'll find a nice big piece for this tank.

Someone is selling a used 100 gallon for $550. With nothing.

I got my 90 gallon + canister filter (100 gallon rating) for $50. There's supposed to be a light strip coming hopefully but even without it's a good deal. The canister is a fluval 403.. so it's incredibly old but I hear these things hold out forever so I just need some hoses for it and we're good.
I'm such a cheapo! We DO have to reseal the tank, but my dad's a handyman so I trust him with that job. The silicone was $5 so that brings us up to $55. Add about $15 for sand. $70. That's it.
The plants and fish are a whole other story and I'll need a couple hundred to get the rest done.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #43835 
kfryman

For an aquascape I was planning on using th aquascaping soil, which is super expensive lol, plus Co2 can be expensive, and DIY can have inconsistencies which can cause BBA if yoyu don't keep making more like every week. So I don't know... I would have lots of water flow so BBA doesn't come about.

Wow that is super cheap, I wish there were deals like that around me.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #43836 
Laki

My feet are feeling worse.
We have Ollie on Revolution. It takes care of fleas and worms (all except tapeworm) which is good bc I think he still has a lingering problem from living outdoors before.
We get Mia again on Sunday :) A 75g o.o I don't know.. I don't know what I'd do with it. Swim in it maybe.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #43837 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
For an aquascape I was planning on using th aquascaping soil, which is super expensive lol, plus Co2 can be expensive, and DIY can have inconsistencies which can cause BBA if yoyu don't keep making more like every week. So I don't know... I would have lots of water flow so BBA doesn't come about.

Wow that is super cheap, I wish there were deals like that around me.

I don't know, I was looking into stuff like ADA aquasoil.. It IS super expensive. It'll make your water acidic, but it's inconsistent and needs to be replaced completely every 3-4 years, which is just a ton of expense. I'd rather get something that doesn't mess with the parameters, I'd use RO/distilled to achieve anything desired, and then sand or fine gravel. All enriched substrates exhaust, but the ADA seems worse because once it does your pH will start climbing back up.

Only that cheap because it was a friend, mind you. ;)
Old 08-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #43838 
kfryman

They have another brand at the aquarium place so I may get that for the 10 gallon once Sakuras rummynoses are determined safe and added to my sorority. Then I will buy all the stuff slowly and then let it run and let the parameters settle and it will be my shrimp tank. If it adjusts my pH and I add my water that is a higher pH, would that kill the shrimp? Or should I only add distilled?
Old 08-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #43839 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
They have another brand at the aquarium place so I may get that for the 10 gallon once Sakuras rummynoses are determined safe and added to my sorority. Then I will buy all the stuff slowly and then let it run and let the parameters settle and it will be my shrimp tank. If it adjusts my pH and I add my water that is a higher pH, would that kill the shrimp? Or should I only add distilled?
Byron says there's no need for that and I have to agree. Since your other option is distilled, that has kH of 0 and that'll just help everything drop more and more over time. You can try a 50/50 tap/distilled mix however..
Important not to add livestock in for around a month I think, those substrates do tend to produce ammonia.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #43840 
eaturbyfill

Goodnight, peeps! <3
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese