Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2012, 01:53 AM   #1 
lordcactusjack

Exclamation Filter Problem!

Hey guys, I got my betta a new tank with a low flow filter and it seems like he is fighting the current a little bit and he keeps going near it and getting stuck on the grating. what do I do?!?! I'm afraid it's going to hurt him!
lordcactusjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:58 AM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Baffle it. Cover the outflow with a sponge or pantyhose. Bettas aren't bred to swim fast. Well, except for shorter finned ones. :/
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:09 AM   #3 
lordcactusjack

the outflow? i thought that was where it is put back in the tank. the problem is he keeps swimming over to it intentionally, even when i unplugged it he swam over to check it out.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:21 AM   #4 
Sprynkl

I am new to this too, but here's what I did. I got the petco 6.6 gallon tank and found the filter even on low setting was a bit strong for my betta, not overly strong but enough to move him around a bit.

I 'baffled' the outflow (where the water returns to the tank from the filter) with an aquarium sponge (was like $3 from petco, got a large one and cut it to fit, used a rubber band to hold it on) theres a quick guide for baffles in this section actually, the one about the sponge is on the fourth page of it. This cut down on him being 'pushed' around the tank.

For the inflow (where the filter sucks the water in from), which is what I believe your referring to I took some pantyhose and cut them to fit the intake area. Then pulled it over the bottom if the intake and used a rubber band to keep it on.

I did this before putting my betta in his tank, but like yours he seems to enjoy / is curious about what the intake is on the filter and likes to swim really close / circles around it until he gets 'caught', however, I think the pantyhose stop his fins from getting sucking in / damaged. I hope so anyway, hopefully someone else can chime in and confirm the pantyhose thing will stop them from hurting themselves at least.

Good luck!

Last edited by Sprynkl; 08-03-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Sprynkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:23 AM   #5 
lordcactusjack

here is the tank i bought
http://www.petco.com/product/114820/...escription-tab
Old 08-03-2012, 02:25 AM   #6 
lordcactusjack

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprynkl View Post
I am new to this too, but here's what I did. I got the petco 6.6 gallon tank and found the filter even on low setting was a bit strong for my betta, not overly strong but enough to move him around a bit.

I 'baffled' the outflow (where the water returns to the tank from the filter) with an aquarium sponge (was like $3 from petco, got a large one and cut it to fit, used a rubber band to hold it on) theres a quick guide for baffles in this section actually, the one about the sponge is on the fourth page of it. This cut down on him being 'pushed' around the tank.

For the inflow (where the filter sucks the water in from), which is what I believe your referring to I took some pantyhose and cut them to fit the intake area. Then pulled it over the bottom if the intake and used a rubber band to keep it on.

I did this before putting my betta in his tank, but like yours he seems to enjoy / is curious about what the intake is on the filter and likes to swim really close / circles around it until he gets 'caught', however, I think the pantyhose stop his fins from getting sucking in / damaged. I hope so anyway, hopefully someone else can chime in and confirm the pantyhose thing will stop them from hurting themselves at least.

Good luck!
OK! i will try that with the inflow! he doesn't seem to be bothered by the outflow. thanks!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #7 
DiiQue

My guy did the same thing... courious about the inflow and then would swim really fast just to get out. I just reduced the air going into the tank by bending the air tube and tying with a rubberband. I then adjusted the loop (had to make it bigger) until I had enough air going into the filter so there would be a reduced outflow. My guy still goes to the inflow tube but it doesn't bother him one bit now nor does it seem to be sucking him in at all as he would just lazily swim away.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
current, filter, filter problem, fish stuck on filter