Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #14081 
thekinetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
MY family is Catholic. I was told when I was 11 that ,uslims kill christians, and that gays are bad. Except my mind knew something was wrong. My bestie is a muslim, my other friend is a muslim... I have a Wiccan (just the one dealing with herbs, spirituality without the magic mess) friend, Pagan, Atheist, Agnostic and Religious friends. But we are who we are. I fought my nana against it with this "riddle"

If God is all knowing, merciful, and never makes mistakes... Wouldn't he have KNOWN that there would have been GAYS, and have FORGIVEN them, as he does not make MISTAKES?

On a side note my old roomie took his reptile rescue to Edmonton. Someone is PO'd at him so much, they tried to break in... and two pits were ready for it. He left a note in blood on their door saying "we'll get even". I told him Camrose sucks, yes, but safer than Edmonton. In Edmonton.. you make ONE person mad there is a handful coming after you! Plus dare you live in the slums.... He is going back to Britain next month, all the animals are being rehomed and right now he really should talk to the police. Camrose police suck, but at least Edmonton has a decent force.
I guess I'll have to move there and teach them not to do that, me and my .45. Here we don't kindly to threats, you mess with my family or my property and there will be blood to pay.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #14082 
tpocicat

Sena,
I'm 61, and I KNOW there are people younger than me that know more than I do on certain topics. When stating my opionion, I make sure to add IMO so people will know there could always be just as legitmate another opinion.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #14083 
Catfish Billy

My rant: Sometimes I wish that I could be a "normal" teenager/child that thinks about video games and my social life rather than aquatic plants and fish tanks. Only my family knows about my fish-keeping to its full extent. I feel that if my school mates knew about it I would be considered "weird" and many of my friends would abandon me because of that status. I enjoy fish-keeping but hate the way it's not "normal" in my school. Also, fish-keeping, for me, has turned into an obsession and life style rather than a hobby. Everything in my life revolves around it.

Does anyone else feel that fish-keeping is their life and they are obsessed with it?
Are there any teenagers on here that are in my situation?
I hope I'm not alone....

***PLEASE NOTE: I AM NOT TRYING TO BE OFFENSIVE OR RUDE IN THIS POST AND I DO NOT THINK FISH-KEEPING IS "WEIRD" ETC.***
Catfish Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #14084 
Pilot00

Fish keeping is a lot healthier activity/hobby/interest than watching tv all day or playing video games all day (not trying to offend,ive done all three in my time). Fish keeping if anything stimulates both your brain and your char growth.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #14085 
SpookyTooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish Billy View Post
My rant: Sometimes I wish that I could be a "normal" teenager/child that thinks about video games and my social life rather than aquatic plants and fish tanks. Only my family knows about my fish-keeping to its full extent. I feel that if my school mates knew about it I would be considered "weird" and many of my friends would abandon me because of that status. I enjoy fish-keeping but hate the way it's not "normal" in my school. Also, fish-keeping, for me, has turned into an obsession and life style rather than a hobby. Everything in my life revolves around it.

Does anyone else feel that fish-keeping is their life and they are obsessed with it?
Are there any teenagers on here that are in my situation?
I hope I'm not alone....

***PLEASE NOTE: I AM NOT TRYING TO BE OFFENSIVE OR RUDE IN THIS POST AND I DO NOT THINK FISH-KEEPING IS "WEIRD" ETC.***
I'm currently sat with a 15cm long chunky giant spiny leaf insect on my arm chilling out while I type, I know the frustrations of being seen as "weird". There's nothing wrong with loving what we've been gifted with in this world, we can learn so much from the nature that surrounds us - whether in monitored miniature worlds (ie. our fish tanks) or in the greater outdoors.

It can be difficult for others with altering opinions and favoured things to understand eachother at times, I'm so sorry you're feeling fearful. I know it sounds typical but your real friends will not leave you because of your passions in life. If they do not share that passion or interest then that is up to them but they shouldn't leave your side over it.

I've not had a "normal" social life for eight years due to illness but I recall when I was in school I was seen as weird. I was so different to others in my class for varying reasons but I had a small, close group of friends who I am still in contact with today - albeit not as much as I'd like but that's due to circumstances I shan't bore you with and is completely unrelated to our differing tastes.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you aren't alone. It's good to have a passion like fishkeeping, it teaches us so much about life and it gives us a focus - both mental and physical. The responsibilities we gain and learn to appreciate will truly help us as we grow older and there is absolutely nothing wrong with yearning to help our animals in every way possible.

I tip my (metaphorical) hat to everyone on this board, you are all here by choice and because you want to give your animals the best and you are all simply awesome. Never let your passions in life hold you back, let them grow on you and grow with you and you won't need to find friends, nor will you need to worry about losing current ones, your world will shift gradually as you delve deeper into your passion and the right people will enter your life in turn. They'll remain there. Why? Because they, like you, have a passion that makes their world brighter.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #14086 
thekinetic

That's because most teenagers are too apathetic to appretiate that someone could care for such a small creature without it being considered awesome like a snake or vicious like a piranha. Same reason I have always been ridiculed for my love of baking, opera, and tea instead of being the typical male idiot.

I have never been "normal" from my ocd to being gay I am not normal but I wouldn't want to be anything else than who I am.

Last edited by thekinetic; 08-03-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #14087 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
Sena,
I'm 61, and I KNOW there are people younger than me that know more than I do on certain topics. When stating my opionion, I make sure to add IMO so people will know there could always be just as legitmate another opinion.

61? That I never knew :p I'm 19, and will always be "still learning"

And yeah I do not take kindly to threats either. Actually, I did what the jerk did (bash on kijiji) and put Sincerely, YOUR basher :) and pointed out if he wants to start things end it with ME not the rescue founder. Also mentioned he should bite his tongue until it bleeds so that he tastes his own poison.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #14088 
Catfish Billy

Thanks for the support everyone! Right now I need it....

@Pilot00 I agree. Fish-keeping is a hobby that is a lot healthier than video games/TV.

@SpookyTooth Thanks for taking time to type all that; it has really helped me. :) I try to tell myself that I shouldn't care what other people think about me. Like you, I have a small group of close friends and other not-so-close friends. I too am different to other children in my class; I don't care about how good my phone is, who is going out with who, etc. I think fish-keeping is a good focus for me as I used to depressed.

@thekinetic I agree! Although, as much as I love small fish when I'm older I'd love to have a tank full of carnivorous fish......*looks around suspiciously* I think my mum once said "You shouldn't act like anyone other than yourself!"
Catfish Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #14089 
Sena Hansler

At least your mum said that. Most mine said is "whatever. I don't care." after she realized I am not HET
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #14090 
thekinetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish Billy View Post
@thekinetic I agree! Although, as much as I love small fish when I'm older I'd love to have a tank full of carnivorous fish......*looks around suspiciously* I think my mum once said "You shouldn't act like anyone other than yourself!"
That's very wise, and why so many kids today have identity problems.

And there's nothing wrong with carnivorous fish, piranha were some of the most interesting fish to keep, I used to feed mine everything from goldfish to steak to raw hamburger. And they ate it all happily!^_^ Though I think they're illegal now. :(

My dad raised a caiman when he was young, if you didn't know it's a small alligator, and they're very illegal now due to idiots releasing them.

Tags
bettathanyou