Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #1 
iElBeau

Unhappy Fat guppy? Injured snail? D:

Hey everyone :)

So I currently have a 10G tank with a (small) male betta (he never grew larger than the 4 month size), 4 female guppies, and two new mystery snails, one gold and one white.

My betta loves all the other fish, he even sleeps cuddled with the guppies sometimes. It's pretty cute, and no fin nips or chasing. So please don't tell me he's gonna kill my guppies etc. That's not why I'm here.

However. When I feed my fish, I find one of the guppies likes to steal food from my betta as I feed him. So frequently instead of two pellets a day and a bit of brine shrimp, my guppy gets three or four pellets. And brine shrimp. And algae she eats around the tank... In other words, she's getting fat, and I'm getting worried about her developing SBD. The other guppies are fine, and a good size, but this one is about one and a half times as round as the others... Can I get some suggestions on how to deal with this?

My other problem, is I was at the pet store to get (originally one) snails. And I just said "Just pick two you think look nice, a white one and a yellow one thanks".. Well the white one, Pegasus (the yellow is Hercules), has no feelers, or eyes. I think they were eaten by another snail, as the lady was pulling another snail off him before putting him in my bag. I thought he was dead until I woke up and he'd moved during the night... But I've read that snails regenerate missing parts. Is there anything I can do to make this process easier for him, and prevent him from developing an infection or anything?

Any and all help is appreciated :) Thank you!
Also, feeding suggestions for the snails would be great too! I currently have them on cucumber, but any other foods, and how to prepare them, would be really helpful. Thanks!
iElBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

You could try to cup him. It's like putting him in a cup, (Such as the one he came in) and feeding him there. He'll get used to it since cup=food. :3 You could also isolate the chubby female since she needs to slim down. It's your choice, though.

You can only help the snail by VERY clean water. They can't really tolerate salt. (It's obvious) You can continue the nice foods for the snails and hope he gets better!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #3 
iElBeau

Hmm well isolating guppies isn't my favorite thing to do :P I'll have to try cupping I suppose. I only isolate the guppies when they get nippy/aggressive... And I've only ever had to do that once, for over night the first night with the fat one :P since then they've all been fine tho haha.

As for the snails, I have a bacterial bloom at the moment (it had cleared up two days before I got them, and came back within 24 hrs of them being added)... I realize that probs wasn't the best time to add them in hindsight, but it was the only day I could get into the city D: soo... Anyways, will the bacterial bloom affect them in any way? D:
iElBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

I don't think so. When you have a bacterial bloom, the worst thing you could do are water changes and it'll stay longer. You can't really do anything about it, and I think the snail would be fine.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #5 
sarap

I feed my snails boiled carrots, broccoli and lettuce, and they love it Crab- and shrimp food is good for their shell, too.

I might be wrong, but I think the feelers will heal and grow back again with the right parameters.
sarap is offline   Reply With Quote