Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #11 
MadameDesu

That looks like it could be a case of tailbiting, but it is a pretty blurry picture.
My girl has a ragged tail fin that I think is fin rot and hers look more ragged, like the webbing between the ribs of the fins are gone. I'd think tailbiting would look more like missing chunks. But I'm no expert.
You treat it the same either way. I have my girl in some aquarium salt, which seems to be helping.
Also, true fin rot is caused by bacteria normally present in the tank, but Bettas usually get it if they're stressed, which lowers their immune system. For my girl, I had just tried out a new filter media that made the water gross, so I guess she hated it, lol.
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #12 
heythereitsv

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Wait, the mugs have been washed with soap? Then I wouldn't use them.
Oh darn. xD Oh well, I'll just go out and get a cave like ornament then :P Either way, it should help with stress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameDesu View Post
That looks like it could be a case of tailbiting, but it is a pretty blurry picture.
My girl has a ragged tail fin that I think is fin rot and hers look more ragged, like the webbing between the ribs of the fins are gone. I'd think tailbiting would look more like missing chunks. But I'm no expert.
You treat it the same either way. I have my girl in some aquarium salt, which seems to be helping.
Also, true fin rot is caused by bacteria normally present in the tank, but Bettas usually get it if they're stressed, which lowers their immune system. For my girl, I had just tried out a new filter media that made the water gross, so I guess she hated it, lol.
Hmm... what kind of salt do you use? I know you're not supposed to use normal grocery store salt, but I've heard sea salt is okay... the reason why I'm even asking is that the pet store is about half an hour away, and my dad doesn't like driving. xD

Last edited by heythereitsv; 08-03-2012 at 05:56 PM.
heythereitsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #13 
MadameDesu

Well, I use API Aquarium Salt, but I've read that an non-iodized salt is fine, Kosher is fine I've heard.
I dosed 1 rounded tsp/gal for a salinity of .1%
The highest you can go is .3% or 3tsp per gallon. But you gotta up the dosage slowly. It doesn't evaporate or get filtered out, so the only way to get rid of it is to do water changes.
And that's all the info I have on it. It's supposed to slow bacterial growth and speed up healing. I use it with Stress Coat too :)
Old 08-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #14 
MadameDesu

I lied, I have more info on it. Important info.
Make sure you dissolve the salt *before* you add it. Get a cup or pitcher of warm water and add the full dose to it. It'll probably take a while to dissolve, but it's important that you do. If you add it straight to the tank, it can burn their gills as it dissolves. Some bettas try to eat it too.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #15 
heythereitsv

Quote:
I lied, I have more info on it. Important info.
Make sure you dissolve the salt *before* you add it. Get a cup or pitcher of warm water and add the full dose to it. It'll probably take a while to dissolve, but it's important that you do. If you add it straight to the tank, it can burn their gills as it dissolves. Some bettas try to eat it too.
That's pretty important. xD Oh and do you happen to know if sea salt is non-iodized and safe?
Old 08-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #16 
MadameDesu

I'm pretty sure it would be, as long as its not iodized. The API salt I have is actually described as evaporated sea salt.
Iodine from the salt wouldn't actually harm the fish much, but I've read it's bad for all the good bacteria in the tank.
Just to be safe, I'd start a new thread about whether it's safe, or do some more research on it. Maybe even PM a senior member about it :)

EDIT: I think you'd just check the box of sea salt and look for any indication as to whether or not it's iodized.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #17 
heythereitsv

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it would be, as long as its not iodized. The API salt I have is actually described as evaporated sea salt.
Iodine from the salt wouldn't actually harm the fish much, but I've read it's bad for all the good bacteria in the tank.
Just to be safe, I'd start a new thread about whether it's safe, or do some more research on it. Maybe even PM a senior member about it :)

EDIT: I think you'd just check the box of sea salt and look for any indication as to whether or not it's iodized.
Makes sense, iodine is a disinfectant. Either way, we need to go to the store anyway, I need to return something, and Artemus needs a new hideyhole and some aquarium salt. ^^
Old 08-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #18 
MSG

Old coffee mug will be fine if it's rinsed really well with hot water

Dish soap on a mug can easily be washed off with hot water.

Ask your parents first if they have any kosher salt.

Sea salt is generally more expensive than Kosher & there's a lot of different bodies of water out there. Kosher is manufactured to specific guidelines, so you're more like to get a more consistent product with K.

Also anything that you can also use in the kitchen & occasionally in the aquarium is a HUGE plus.

But keep the high end sea salt for seasoning your own food.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #19 
happypappy

what about your fake plants?? you said he likes to get into them -- are they plastic or silk?? I have had a HM betta shred his tail on plastic plants -- not a problem with the silk ones. Also, what type filter -- he may have gotten his tail torn by the intake. It does not look like fin rot --from the photo; fin rot can cause bleeding from the rotted ends and the betta will look ill -- lying on the bottom, closed fins, etc. good luck.
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote