Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #11 
gn3ranger

another update (you don't have to reply to this you can if you want) I put in a plastic mesh divider now they have their own space. Ill remove the divider after 1 month or so and see if Phillip gets less aggressive.
gn3ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #12 
reggie oaks

Smile You're right

Quote:
Originally Posted by gn3ranger View Post
@reggie my betta literally would lunge at the cories moving the gravel when he missed them making rocks move everywhere he never got a shot on my cories but i saw his intentions and i will not take the chance of not dividing them. I've never seen him puff his gills out like that I thought he was sick but as said above its just territorial. Plus it kinda makes me sad seeing the innocent cories scavenging for food minding their own business and then wam betta attack. :(
Yes. Besides, the betta aggresion may not be posing real direct danger for the corys, but certainly stresses them making your corys prone to diseases. I wish I could tell you about the Q about betta becoming aggressive under certain conditions, but my knowledge is insufficient on this subject.
reggie oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #13 
Pilot00

I believe that the plan on upgrading the tank to a 20 gallon would also solve the problem since the betta would have more space to himself.

Thats my opinion though it could be wrong. How many cories do you have? Are they the regular sized or pigmy cories?
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #14 
Thrifty Bee

Is he or was he making a bubble nest? I have two Bettas in tanks next to each other and usually it's not a problem. They would occasionally do a little flaring when they noticed each other and then go on interested in something else. But today Red was going nuts, it wasn't the same "look at me I'm prettier than you" flaring but more like "I'm going to rip you apart if I can just get over there". I ended up having to put a paper up where Red couldn't see Blue anymore.

Then I found the nest poor lonely Red is working on. Red and Blue both have made at nests before but Red is taking this one seriously. It's big and he has it in between some plants. It stands to reason that he would get more territorial if he has breeding on his mind, males of all species do right?
Thrifty Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #15 
gn3ranger

They are regular sized the leopard cory died today but i was already expecting it to die soon because every since i got him He didn't move much. Do you guys think I can keep Phillip in a 20 gallon tank undivided and he would not attack the cories?

Current cories are 2 emerald and 2 albino. I have easy access to alot of 10 gallon tanks but I would have to buy another filter,aeration, and it would take up more room so if you think a 20 gallon tank would be enough I'd be more than happy to eventually upgrade.

And no Phillip never makes nests.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #16 
gn3ranger

Right now they are divided and the cories are actually enjoying themselves the ghost shrimp some how manages to go from the bettas side to the cories side the betta pays no attention to the shrimp though.