Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #41 
Pixielator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywadejunior View Post
How do you care for tarantulas? Can you keep them in the same cage (or whatever you keep tarantulas in )?

Since bettas usually can't be kept together, space is an issue and so is the expenses of buying and setting up multiple tanks. I only have one fish right now. But after I looked in the betta aisle at Petco, I suddenly want another! haha

Oh no, tarantulas can't be kept together, they'd eat eachother. Haha. There are actually a few arboreal sp. that CAN be kept together, but they don't like it, they just tolerate eachother, and at some point there will probably still be some cannibalism. Its recommended that even each individual of these tolerant species gets it's own cage.

There are different ways to care for different tarantulas as a lot of them come from different climates. So basically give them the right amount of humidity (like that from their natural climate) and a temp of about 75-85 degrees F (the higher the temp the faster they grow). Always keep a waterdish in the enclosure with fresh water. Provide a hide. Feed them about once a week. And keep the enlosure clean (clean poop whenever you see it, remove whats left over from its food every time it eats, change substrate and clean the eclosure once a year or two using your own judgement)

As for their cages, unless you're trying to make it look really nice, you don't have to spend a lot of money. My 3 Chilean Roses are each in $3 sterilite containers that I got from Big Lots and then drilled holes into. With ground-dwelling (terrestrial, like Chilean Roses) species, you don't have to worry about the heigh of the container as long as there is enough room for them to walk around, in fact shorter containers are better for them because they're bad at climbing and can easily fall if they do. For tree dwelling (arboreal) species, a medium to large kritter keeper, has enough climbing space for a small to medium species.

Sorry if that was more than you were asking for I didn't know exactly what you were asking about when you asked how to care for them. Heres some pics of my Chilean Roses' enclosures and also one of my Cobalt Blue who just molted a couple days ago (Just thought I'd add in a pic of her cuz she's really pretty ).

PS: The reason there is no hide in the open enclosure right now is because the hide was wooden and I spilled water on it while filling her water dish, so now I have to get a new hide. I can't keep the wet one cuz now it might mold.
Attached Images

Last edited by Pixielator; 08-03-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Pixielator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #42 
Pixielator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
tarantulas are solitary animals as well. You can keep them in large critter keepers but once again they prefer big cages. Long shallow ones with a lid lol. The like sand bedding and the bark like bedding (forgetting what it actually is) and the mossy kind (think wild natural habitat). Crickets and insects for food and a very shallow water dish. Fresh water every day and make sure its not too deep. They go into the dish to drink and it needs to be shallow. Once a month go through the tank and clean it; sweeping up old webs, dead crickets etc etc. You can add decorations for them to crawl on and a hidey hole.

I've personally never had a tarantula but I kept a wolf spider for 8 months before she laid eggs and died. My ex's father had 2 really big ones though. Pretty things!

If any of it is wrong please correct me, I'd hate to be giving the wrong info!

Most of that was right. :)
In the wild tarantulas only move a few inches away from their burrow in their entire lifetime (except for males because once they mature they go looking for mates and then die about a year later), so its no big deal if their cage doesn't have tons of room, but if you WANT to provide a big cage thats not a bad thing. Though some will argue that big cages make the spider feel insecure, I think as long as they have a cozy hide they don't mind. Bark bedding is usually not a good choice for them, there are oils in some trees that are toxic to them especially cedar. Its argued that sand can be abbraisive to the exo skeleton, but theres no proof of this so far, I'd only be comfortable with doing a 50/50 mix of sand & peat moss or coconut fiber for desert species. Moss is good, mostly for species from moist climates, the moss helps keep the humidity up in the enclosure, and some T's will use it to line their burrows. Its best to clean out poop and food reminants at least once a week to avoid mite infestations.

Do you mean wolf spider or rabid wolf spider? I've never been able to find a wolf spider, but I kept a rabid wolf spider for a few months before I had to move. She was actually one of my favorites, I would choose her over some tarantulas.

Last edited by Pixielator; 08-03-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #43 
Pixielator

Also, if anyone of you ever goes into a pet store and they are selling a Chilean Rose and the enclosure looks humid or the substrate damp, PLEASE let the staff know that this is a species from a desert that has gone years at a time without rain. Roses DO NOT LIKE MOISTURE!! If it remains moist in there, they will die from stress. It should be bone dry except for a water dish. Just thought I'd say that because I've seen this many times in corporate pet stores. One thing I've learned is that you cannot trust pet stores to give you the correct care information, you should always do your own research.

Last edited by Pixielator; 08-03-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #44 
jeremywadejunior

I was just curious as to how tarantula care was compared to betta care :) But that's interesting!! Thanks for sharing! Your tarantulas look happy!
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #45 
Shirleythebetta

I don't like spiders and the blue one was even gorgeous to me.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:24 AM   #46 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
Same here!!
Old 08-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #47 
Pixielator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywadejunior View Post
Same here!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post

She appreciates your compliments. :)

Normally she's holed up in her burrow, but I have her in a temporary container because I'm trading her for a different tarantula tomorrow. Although she's pretty her species is fast and aggresive and I'm tired of being afraid that she'll dart out of her cage everytime I open it, it would really suck catching her.

But I'll stop rambling on about my spiders now. Haha. Sorry guys.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #48 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixielator View Post
She appreciates your compliments. :)

Normally she's holed up in her burrow, but I have her in a temporary container because I'm trading her for a different tarantula tomorrow. Although she's pretty her species is fast and aggresive and I'm tired of being afraid that she'll dart out of her cage everytime I open it, it would really suck catching her.

But I'll stop rambling on about my spiders now. Haha. Sorry guys.
Thanks for teaching us about tarantulas!!
Old 08-04-2012, 01:17 AM   #49 
Pixielator

It was my pleasure. :)
Old 08-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #50 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixielator View Post
Most of that was right. :)

Do you mean wolf spider or rabid wolf spider? I've never been able to find a wolf spider, but I kept a rabid wolf spider for a few months before I had to move. She was actually one of my favorites, I would choose her over some tarantulas.
Yay I'm not completely useless in my knowledge of spider care!! lol. I had a North Carolina Wolf Spider. I found her in the hallway to the girls locker room. rIt was fall so she was trying to find a place inside to stay warm. I had a janitor stand over her and make sure she didn't move while I ran to the little medical care place in the building for a bag (in my baithing suit mind you). I named her Twiggy and she was fed baby crickets once a week. I never tried to handle her because she was wild but she was beautiful!
Attached Images

lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote