Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2008, 03:32 PM   #1 
DracosMomma

I'm a new Beta Momma

Hi All,

I'm a new Betta Momma as of yesterday afternoon and would really appreciate advice.

1. How often do I change his water?
2. What is the best method (if any) to change his water?
3. He has a light in his tank. Will this provide the necessary heat?
4. Are platic plants okay in his tank? I read in somewhere to include live plants, but I don't want to mess with his environment too much as he's already pretty stressed out.
5. Is he supposed to be grumpy? I'm currently blaming it on stress (I accidentally got him stuck in my car's cup holder on the way home and he's been flaring at me ever since.) Any idea on when he might calm down?
6. Does he need absolute dark to sleep at night or will the kitchen's nightlight bother him?

Thank you in advance for the help. I really want to do right by the little guy. He's just so cool.

Best regards,
Draco's Momma
DracosMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:26 PM   #2 
Neo

you can change 20-25% of its water every day or two while cycling the tank, i prefer silk and live plants, if u have an incandecent light it will provide heat although too much sometimes, look into a heater and filter to make the fish happy 78 to 80 degrees should be fine, i cut off my tank lights at night to get them into a day and night cycle, they are used to it at night around 10 they even look up at the light like they are telling me to cut it off, also you can try reading the care sticky
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:03 PM   #3 
Meatpuppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
you can change 20-25% of its water every day or two while cycling the tank, i prefer silk and live plants, if u have an incandecent light it will provide heat although too much sometimes, look into a heater and filter to make the fish happy 78 to 80 degrees should be fine, i cut off my tank lights at night to get them into a day and night cycle, they are used to it at night around 10 they even look up at the light like they are telling me to cut it off, also you can try reading the care sticky
yes i agree with said info. i also recoment the betta care sticky: http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=15392
dont leave on lights all the time bcuz, just like people, they need dark to sleep.
the best way, in my experience, to change water is get a turkey baster and change the water along with sucking up waste, food ect. from the bottom of your tank
o and i also recomend getting a master liquid test kit to test your fishes water parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, ph)
how big is your tank?
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:53 PM   #4 
It'sJames

The answer to your first 2 questions will depend on the size of his tank. Don't rely on the light for heat, because when you turn it off at night & on in the morning it will cause temp. changes. It's best to keep the tank at a relatlively stable 78-80 degrees. Buy an in-tank thermometer, which are only a dollar or two. What kind of filtration do you have on the tank (if any)?

I wouldn't worry about his less-than-perfect attitude right now. He should calm down within a couple days. Plus, some bettas just have big personalities - his new hobby might just be trying to chase you away with his scary flared up face. :D Just wait until he starts associating you with meals... he'll like you then.
It'sJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #5 
DracosMomma

Thank you for your advice. He finally ate his breakfast this morning and he's no longer looking at me like I'm the Ultimate Evil. :D

I think his tank is a gallon in size. I don't have a filter or a thermometer, but I'll pick them up today. I picked up a baster to change his water, so thank you for suggesting that. I also moved the kitchen nightlight to the other side of the room and it almost seems like he slept better. Not so grumpy.

Thank you!
DracosMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:13 AM   #6 
stephenmontero

he cant be mean to the hand that feeds
stephenmontero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:57 PM   #7 
Neo

lol amen stephen, amen
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote