Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #11 
kfryman
Member
 
kfryman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fremont, CA
A fishes bioload doesn't depend on size 100% a one inch gold fish will make a lot of ammonia , yet a 2 inch betta will make little. It depends on the species...

Also, cories are schooling fish and should at least have 5 together, same with neons except they can get aggressive when in small schools so 8+ is best.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #12 
katrina89
Member
 
katrina89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
yea my husband and I decided to get Mr. frogs... tomorrow i think :)
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:26 AM   #13 
Pilot00
Member
 
Pilot00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Athens, Greece
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
A fishes bioload doesn't depend on size 100% a one inch gold fish will make a lot of ammonia , yet a 2 inch betta will make little. It depends on the species...

Also, cories are schooling fish and should at least have 5 together, same with neons except they can get aggressive when in small schools so 8+ is best.
Yes i agree on that but i believe (never had a frog though) that 5 pigmies would still be a lower bioload, after all they have cleaning properties as well.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #14 
katrina89
Member
 
katrina89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot00 View Post
Yes i agree on that but i believe (never had a frog though) that 5 pigmies would still be a lower bioload, after all they have cleaning properties as well.
really? I would love to get a pygmy cory if i could, but i read online that it needs 10g... and i read online that the frogs need 1g... they are treated with the same judgment as bettas... SOOOooo i figured i could get 2 frogs, bec i heard they play together, and then i think I am fully stocked and cant get anything else... if someone has had success with pygmy cories in their 5g... please lemme know:)
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #15 
Relic
New Member
 
Relic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina89 View Post
really? I would love to get a pygmy cory if i could, but i read online that it needs 10g... and i read online that the frogs need 1g... they are treated with the same judgment as bettas... SOOOooo i figured i could get 2 frogs, bec i heard they play together, and then i think I am fully stocked and cant get anything else... if someone has had success with pygmy cories in their 5g... please lemme know:)
My daughter has a couple of panda corys in her 5.5 with her betta...they are doing just fine. Though I think I might steal them and put em in my cory tank...they are so cute.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #16 
katrina89
Member
 
katrina89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
My daughter has a couple of panda corys in her 5.5 with her betta...they are doing just fine. Though I think I might steal them and put em in my cory tank...they are so cute.
gosh now i cant pick haha bec cories are super cute but the frogs r funny... guess we will see
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #17 
katrina89
Member
 
katrina89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
actually just checked and the pandas have a higher bioload than the frogs or the pygmys ... :/ and the pygmys swim in the middle of the tank and not the bottom like i was hoping... so i guess its frogs
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #18 
Relic
New Member
 
Relic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
We had a frog at one time. It was my daughters...we had it with a betta and the betta would always eat the frogs food so we had to "hand feed" the frog...and he ate soooo slow! It was cute at first then it became a hassle. We gave it to a friend who now has it in his own little tank.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #19 
katrina89
Member
 
katrina89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
yea i expect that to be a pain, but i plan on using a dish at the bottom to place the pellets with a turkey baster... hopefully it works... ill deff keep the pandas in mind though... they dont get as big as the regular cories
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #20 
katrina89
Member
 
katrina89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
my hubbs likes the pandas, but we're concerned about waste... how often do you change the water of the 5.5g with the betta
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tankmates... CharStarr Other Fish 1 07-25-2012 02:07 AM
Help with first ever tankmates? miss c Betta Fish Compatibility 8 09-18-2010 06:32 PM
20 g tankmates kaythenewbie Betta Fish Compatibility 3 09-01-2010 10:00 PM
Possible Tankmates? SweetnSpicy Betta Fish Compatibility 0 11-25-2009 03:27 PM
tankmates Neo Betta Fish Care 14 04-13-2008 07:58 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.