Adding an acid and heating would theoretically convert it to a free-floating fatty acid, which you can easily remove. However, the acid concentration you'd need is unknown and you'll probably end up spending a lot of time washing the log back to neutral pH. I'd probably just stick with soaking and boiling in water.
If you try the acid, vinegar is probably the only viable choice. I'd avoid hydrogen peroxide since it functions more as an oxidizing agent than an acid, and decomposes under heating anyway.