Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #11 
Unity

would any of you 20gal plus owners care to share with me what you have stocked and how you came to decide on what pets you wound up stocking?

I am going to assume that you each have a Betta but maybe I am incorrect there?
Unity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #12 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

No betta in mine sorry. In my other tanks I have fish the betta would eat, and in the big tank there's gonna be fish that'd eat the betta. :p

You could do an Asian tank... With rasbora and kuhli loaches. It'd be kind of like a biotope. Well planted and sandy. My mind really only groups fish together by location, sorry. xD
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #13 
djembekah

i have a sorority in my 29 gallon tank. it's got 6 female bettas, 5 bronze cories, 7 zebra danios, a bristlenose pleco, and a bunch of snails. i need 2890238320420 more plants though. the fish mostly keep to their own species
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:36 AM   #14 
Unity

Would love to hear some more suggestions on 20gal stocking if anyone out there cares to share!

Headed down to the LPS and the chains today to take a look (however I believe I am going to buy the betta from a breeder).
Unity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #15 
Pilot00

Currently my 36g has only Piou my betta inside. I might throw in 6 corries at some time.

In the past i had the following setups:

2 Mollies
2Sword tails
4 Guppies
3 Agnel fish
1 Pleco
1 Cynodintis eypterus
1 Silver Shark (dont remember actual name)

When the mollies the guppies the pleco and the shark(darn thing only ate twice a month for some reason) took the road for the rainbow bridge, I switched to:

3Angels fish (same as before)
1 Cynodintis eypterus (same as before)
3 Oscar
1Yellow parrot fish
5-7(cant remember exactly) silver dollars.
1Rainbow tail (black red tailed?) shark.

Somewhere in between the two setups there was a loach (didnt knew they are schooling).

After awhile it was only the cyno the 2 oscar and the parrot. The rest died due to a crack in the tank and didnt survive the transit back and forth the petstore till i cycle a new one (during that transit i learn why cynodontis are called squeakers too). The dollars died before that, made a snack for the oscar.

Thus the longest living fish in my aquarium were the oscar (10+ years) the parrot (6-7 years) and the cyno (28 years). He died 3 years ago to my dismay.

Last edited by Pilot00; 08-04-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #16 
shellieca
Reference Team

My 46g has 3 female Bettas, soon to have 4, 2 Chinese Algae eaters (1 too many probably) & 2 Mystery snails. I love the Bettas with bottom feeders.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #17 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I love synodontis. However a lot of species grow huge.
Same with freshwater sharks, and a lot of the other species named I would not have with betta either.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #18 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I love synodontis. However a lot of species grow huge.
Same with freshwater sharks, and a lot of the other species named I would not have with betta either.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think it was clear perhaps not :)

I didnt have a betta in those set ups. I got one now that the aquarium is vacant. My Cyno grew up around 15 cm (he was the largest growing species the eupteros, the rest grow smaller) and he didnt have problems with anything else except bottom feeders, they had a tendency to disappear.
Cynos f eel (and quite probably are) the kings of the bottom.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #19 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot00 View Post
I think it was clear perhaps not :)

I didnt have a betta in those set ups. I got one now that the aquarium is vacant. My Cyno grew up around 15 cm (he was the largest growing species the eupteros, the rest grow smaller) and he didnt have problems with anything else except bottom feeders, they had a tendency to disappear.
Cynos f eel (and quite probably are) the kings of the bottom.
Euptera are big, but not the only Synos that big. Synodontis, acanthomias, S. schotedeni, S. decora can all reach 12" (30cm) as well. S. angelica has been known to reach 23" (58cm) in the wild but tends to stay smaller (around 30cm) in tanks. It's all about how you care for the fish however, many fish never reach their potential size in aquariums.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #20 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Euptera are big, but not the only Synos that big. Synodontis, acanthomias, S. schotedeni, S. decora can all reach 12" (30cm) as well. S. angelica has been known to reach 23" (58cm) in the wild but tends to stay smaller (around 30cm) in tanks. It's all about how you care for the fish however, many fish never reach their potential size in aquariums.
Probably i had non of the other species thats why i said for eypterus specifically, i had mine for 28 years. Ive been told that they are the largest perhaps i have been misinformed sorry about that.