Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2012, 02:01 AM   #1 
AltheaGlyndwr

Multi-Fishy Crisis

So I have 4 bettas right? I have different symptoms for each one (please bear with me) and I think all of them have issues and I'd really like some help :/.

Listed by betta(keep in mind please and don't be mean to me... but all of this is temporary, very.):

Flutter~

He lives in a 1 gallon right now.
No heater (yet) but water is 75 degrees.
Water isn't changed enough but is done at the VERY least once a week, recently only (I've been crazy busy with work and life has been crazy intense lately) Normally I change is every other day or so.
Live plant and some light. I'm being honest so that I can provide as much info as possible.
Has made me at least 4 bubble nests and he flares beautifully.
Have had him for almost 3 weeks.

He within the last week has begun to bite (I assume because of the tail webbing loss) the tip white parts of his tail. He often turns around really fast and his tail can touch his face. He has been shiney since I got him (like iridescent) but also has a couple white patches of scales on his face/gill area. As of today he he rubbing himself up against EVERYTHING including the pebbles and even almost "bashing" his side against things. He eats fine and he isn't bloated except right after I feed him.

Titan~

Water isn't changed enough but is done at the VERY least once a week, recently only (I've been crazy busy with work and life has been crazy intense lately) Normally I change is every other day or so.
Live plant and some light. I'm being honest so that I can provide as much info as possible.
Has made me at least 5 bubble nests and he flares.
Have owned him for a little over almost 2 weeks.

He as of today has been burying himself between his moss ball and the ground. Also he appears to be rubbing himself over his stuff. Also since I got him he seems to have been missing a few scales here and there but the ones on his head and spine are coming off at present. When I brough him home he was clamped and emaciated. I have been feeding him a mix of betta pebbles and frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms.

Sunshine~

Has made me no bubble nests nor has he ever flared (this might be because his hosp is a bubble bowl?).
Have had him for 6 or 7 weeks.

He had a fiasco with a plastic plant that tore his fins a week after I brought him home. He then underwent a 10 day AQ salt treatment to help healing and regrowth. He was in quarantine after that for healing for about 2 and a half weeks. I tried to add him to my 5 gal cycled tank but he went crazy. I removed him and now suspect that I may have had a mini cycle going. He still has not tried to go back home yet cause I am paranoid. In his hosp tank he doesn't do anything. He sits there, wherever he pleases and doesn't move, some fins clamped. Eats sometimes, though not always right away. (I do have a small confession... I didn't realize it, but when he was in AQ treatment he was right next to my microwave... could that have messed the poor little man up at all?)

Mystique~

2.5 gal tank.
Heated, between 77-80 on any given day.
She flares awesome for me.
Have had her almost a month.

She has been bloated since I brought her home and whenever I feed her even a little she gets FAT bloated. I don't feed her as much... although I feel like I should. Someone said she was probably eggy (cause for mildish bloat) Ever since I started lighting her background she spends ALL DAY swimming back and forth across the tank... ALL... DAY... LONG... I look over and there she is, zip, zip, zip. She appears healthy... although the crazy bloat freaks me out. Also her top sin twitches a lot... o.O?

Even if you can only help with 1 of them... I need responses... I don't want to lose any of my babies to anything just because I was ignorant. I have flashlighted them all for velvet which they don't APPEAR to have... Also for fungus... I'm not sure about ick though... what it it is Flutter's natural shine? Titan is too platinum silver for me to tell. Sunshine just looks depressed ALL THE TIME and I think Mystique is on speed or something.
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:18 AM   #2 
vP H O T O Nv

Flutter

Does he have, any white spots appearing anywhere else on the body, that could possibly resemble Ick? If so, heat his tank to 85 degrees. Shut all Windows, let keep the door shut, cover the tank, it will get it on in heat. My room has been 85+ for about 4 days now it's uncomfortable but my fish is almost cured from ick.

If he's biting his tail, he may be bored, change up his decor, give him a few toys (look through the forums you'll find a lot)

Also, Aq. salt him for a little while 20-30 minutes a day, 1 tps/gal (you've done it before) also get some stress coat in that tank, it will heal up really well.

I don't have a clue about Titan and Sunshine. Go through the sticky treatment thing 1 and 2 and just read all the illnesses, do as it says and you should be good, also a more advanced fish care person will post here backing me up or telling me wrong. My info should be accurate, but wait a little if not try it.

Mystique

Probably just some bloating, fast her for a few days about 3-5 and epson salt her. If nothing changes post again. If she's filled with eggs, I don't know how to help. I mean you could maybe try to breed her, or she should release on her own even if unfertilized.

Just a few tips, you already know that the tanks are a little too small or need too much maintenance.

My local walmart does sell 10 gal tanks for about 13 dollars, just the tank though. You need to get everything else, you should have it if not, you'll want it. If I was you, I would go get 2 of those, along with the filters and heaters, make or buy 2 deviders, give each fish 5 gallons, and take up less room.

Just an idea, money can always be tight, I'm not in your shoes. I don't know.
vP H O T O Nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #3 
Aus

I am not being judgmental or "mean" to you here, merely frank and honest - as I have lots of bettas now and understand how hard it gets to keep all the tanks up some days.

However, as this issue with water changes seems to have been going on for -weeks- it seems to me as if you're really struggling to keep these fish in tip top conditions, and as a result the fish are suffering. I'm not being one of those "omgawsh upgrade" people - but really, it seems pretty clear that either you need to find or create time to care for your tanks, upgrade to 3+ gallons each to give yourself a little breathing space (and the fish a break from ammonia etc) or downscale to one or two fish, so you can manage them better. I am here admittedly thinking more of the welfare of the fish than your own feelings about this.. but fishkeeping ought to be a relaxing pastime, not additional stress on you, as well.

Anyway - the fish.

Flashing and rubbing indicates a skin irritation. If the obvious ich spots are not apparent in either fish, it could be velvet (check again for that gold/rusty sheen) or flukes, some parasite or other. I am not sure what meds you have available to you, but a general parasite cure might be worth trying, while you keep them in absolute darkness for a few days - velvet hates the dark and it can't reproduce without light. See how they do after 4-5 days of parasite meds and dark -- you MUST change the water 100% daily to flush any dead/living parasites from the water...

I must say here that ammonia is deadly to fish, and if all of yours are exposed constantly via small tank/infrequent changes, their gills/skin/fins and all will be slowly eroded, as poisoning takes its toll. This will make them much more vulnerable to diseases, as will being too cold or in up-and-down temperatures.

This may be why Sunshine is so 'depressed' - between dirty hosp tank water and cycling 5 g perhaps his gills are damaged. Is he 'gasping' - gills moving a lot as he breathes underwater? Check the colour of his gills - are they healthy bright red or murky brown/black? Dark gills are nitrite or ammonia poisoning, and some pristine water with a little AQ salt in will help him breathe.

Oh - how long did you have Sunshine in salt for? That's another thing that can cause fish to act ill - too long in salt. If it was for more than 10 days, try him on just fresh water for a few days and if he is still lethargic, try a little salt but only for a few days.

The other thing I'm thinking of is a possible internal bacterial problem, as he's not too interested in food.

As for your bloaty female - what are you feeding her? You could try her on some high protein food which means if she's getting a little at least it's nutritious. My VT female get 'fat' on just a little food, looks like she'll explode after murdering another cherry shrimp -- I just skip a few meals when she's too round-looking. She glass surfs when her light is on and is also really 'zippy' - some fish just are that way, so maybe it's normal for her. I tried to point the light slightly off her tank walls to stop her exhausting herself, and gave her lots and lots of plants to explore including many floating ones, which pretty much solved the issue.

If you haven't got a test kit, take some of your 5g tank water to the LFS for testing, to see how your cycle is doing.

Hope some of this is a help.

Last edited by Aus; 08-03-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #4 
AltheaGlyndwr

Thanks guys, really, a lot. Today I'm going to run by my petsmart and get the heaters for the 1 gals cause I got paid last night. And just for clarification, I was changing the water every other day except for this last week. That's the only time I haven't changed it as often. And I forgot to mention that when I noticed Flutter's fins receding from bites I made it a point to at the very least change his. There is no AQ sat in anyones water right now and Sunshine was only on it for the 10 days for healing, daily water changes. I have been paranoidly flashlighting them everyday to check for velvet. I have API general cure, AQ salt, Epsom salt, Ick guard, fungus clear, and kanaplex on its way in the mail(gonna go out to my mailbox in a minute to see). I will cover their tanks with paper once I get the heaters in. Also I have testing kits for ammonia and that 5 in 1 tester as well. The problem with water changes wasn't a problem exactly, as much as it was me asking a lot of questions on here about how best to care for Sunshine after he was injured. My other comments/questions have been about how best to go about flattening up an emaciated fish and what the crap had been going on with my 5 gal. Well and about my female and her blaotiness, but this is the first thread to tell me more than to just not feed her very much :) The high protien food thing was very helpful. I do intend once I move to get them larger tanks. But right now I live in a tiny apartment and I'd only have Sunshine, Mytisque, and Flutter(which would ulimately leave only one of them in a 1 gal after Sunshine goes into the 5 gal, or maybe I'll put Flutter instead), but Titan had been at the store for over a month and looked like he was about to die from starvation. He has livened up a ton since I brought him home. He has also filled out a little and doesn't so much look like a skull and a spine with fins.

BTW, should I treat Sunshine for ick/parasites? Should I possibly treat him for internal bacteria and if so with what meds? o.O?

Also, I will be gone for 2 days from my home with a pet sitter staying, will they be ok in medicated water for those two days if I change it right when I come home? (Saturday and Sunday) Or should I wait to start treatment until I get back Monday? Thanks everyone :) I am grateful for your help.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #5 
AltheaGlyndwr

Oh and I was feeding her only pellets, but when I bought the frozen brine shrimp and blood worms from the pet store (right after getting Titan) I have been feeding them all alternating meals between everything. To change it up. They LOVE the frozen stuff~ :D Even Sunshine will gobble that up in seconds.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #6 
AltheaGlyndwr

Also, another comment I forgot to add. I will upgrade as soon as I get the extra money to do so. Until then I will try and make it a priority to change their water at the very least every other day. Maybe if I make it a ritual before I got to bed every night then I can remember and have the time :) Would it bother them what time I did the changes?
Old 08-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

Didnt read everything but... did you introduce anything in the tanks recently that you didnt quarantine...? like plants?
might be the cause for the itchiness... :/ get your tap water tested too....
oh and a suggestion divide the 5 gal into 3 areas. and use the same tank for all 3 fish after cycling... that's 1.5g+ of space each and you will only need to do one weekly water change on the 5g. :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #8 
Aus

^ Aokashi is le clever. Good idea, splitting it between bettas.

It won't bother your fish what time you do your changes. And cool, I think I misunderstood how long the wc issue was going on. You seem to be doing your best to provide care for your fish. I hope it all comes together for you soon so you can relax and sit back enjoying the tanks rather than worrying.

If Sunshine isn't darting or itching, he probably hasn't got velvet. It's really hard to say -what- he has, could be internal parasites, could be bacterial issue inside, could be a lot of things.

If you have Kanaplex on the way, it's a broad spectrum antibiotic in that it treats gram negative and a few g. positive diseases as well. But don't rush to medicate your fish until we can see a real symptom..

You could add some Stress Coat if you have it, I use it every water change on my chronically ill little HM and he is doing much better with that.

Keep an eye on Sunshine - note any changes and report them here so maybe some members will recognise what's happening for him. I hope your others recover well.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #9 
AltheaGlyndwr

I think that splitting the 5 gallon is an amazing idea! It would be much easier and more convenient. But first I've got to figure out what is wrong with Sunshine. I found out when I changed his water (He's been in a bowl like one gallon) that he hasn't really eaten any of the food I've been giving him. I couldn't see that through the plastic or his hidey place. I feel terrible now, but presently he is in just water(which is probably better than I could do at this exact moment seeing as I had to leave immediately after getting off of work last night and my bf was hardly patient enough to let me change their waters >.<;; much less add anything else so at least they are all fresh). Monday will be very important.

Also, what could cause an emaciated fish to be missing scales. Should I treat him for an external parasite and then treat for the scale when that is over? (Titan)

Thanks everyone! I am going completely out of internet area in about an hour so I will respond or get anything you say on Monday when we get back from the wilds.