Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #11 
FishyFishy89

best beginner plant: any plant that you can float and use liquid fertilizer.
Usually Wisteria and Anacharis. These plants don't require a whole lot of lighting, but will be equally happy if you provide them with alot of lighting.

I don't QT my plants. Spike eats any baby snails that hitch a ride and Mr. Clean gets all the algae.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #12 
battered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganJo215 View Post
Okay, where do you usually get your plants? And what kind would you recommend?
Online from other hobbyists (Swap n Shop of The Planted Tank forums): cheaper, better quality, better quantities, MUCH more variety

For easy low light low tech, anubias, crypts, java fern, java moss, anacharis, wisteria, water sprite, swords, other floaters, etc all do well.
battered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #13 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I love and am having great luck with my Hornwort and Anacharis and they are my first and only plants I have in the tank now. They both can float in the tank . The Hornwort floats on top of the water and my Anacharis floats down at the bottom of the tank. Perseus loves the Hornwort to sleep in ! New stems have already come out of the Anacharis and seem to be growing half and inch overnight, I am truly amazed at how fast its growing !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #14 
lvandert

huh, I bought it as an amazon sword but I guess I got java fern... no wonder it's so easy to grow lol... ug petco, you never know what your going to get
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #15 
BettaQi

I have a $3 off coupon for PetsMart so water wisteria for me tomorrow I think!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #16 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaQi View Post
I have a $3 off coupon for PetsMart so water wisteria for me tomorrow I think!
Be sure pick up liquid fert too. flourish is best. It maybe expensive but for smaller tanks it'll last you forever.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #17 
lvandert

I have it but I find it's not needed all the time. If your plant is looking a little on the thin side give it a shot of fertilizer, if it seems to be doing just fine on its own then let it be. Keep in mind most plants you bring home will go through a melting phase where they all look dead. Its why I recommend the qt, that was you don't have rotting plants in your main tank. Give them another week or two and you should start to see green growth.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #18 
BettaQi

This guy has great stuff at great prices!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183662

He ships on Mondays.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #19 
MeganJo215

I found a nice little pet shop about 5-10 minutes from where I work while searching online (didn't even know it was there!), so I am really looking forward to paying them a visit tomorrow. They seem like they have a large assortment of everything, so I'm hoping to get some Wisteria and Anacharis and maybe some Hornwort. We'll just see what they have, but I'm excited to really get started decorating the tank! :)
MeganJo215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #20 
lvandert

NPT are just cool!