Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #1 
Krys

Exclamation Baby betta sudden sick!! D:

My little guy was fine a couple days ago, then yesterday he just floated at the top of the water, alive and would move slowly. today, he's significantly pale, stays at the top and now he's breathing hard and jerks whenever he touches something like a plant.

I gave him a water change yesterday, but he's not doing any better, he seems worse.

I've never had this before, what is it?

and he's about 3 months old.

Last edited by Krys; 08-04-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #2 
gossipgirl1031

I've had decent success with the babies. Would you mind filling out the sticky in the disease section? Sometimes that helps answer basic questions like temp, ph & so on. Maybe a pic? Is his belly bloated at all?
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #3 
Krys

Housing
What size is your tank? - 1.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? - about 72*F
Does your tank have a filter? - No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? - No.
Is your tank heated? - Not by means of a heater, room is hot enough to sustain an average of 70*F water.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? - None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? - BettaMix flakes.
How often do you feed your betta fish? - Once or twice a day. (he wont eat now though :( )

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? - Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? - Half (50%)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? - Dechlorination.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 6.5
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? - pale, fins clamps
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? - hard breathing, floating at top, wont eat, jerks when touched by plant or other decor.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? - Yesterday (Friday)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? - 100% water change.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? - not to my knowledge.
How old is your fish (approximately)? - 3 months
Old 08-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #4 
Krys

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossipgirl1031 View Post
I've had decent success with the babies. Would you mind filling out the sticky in the disease section? Sometimes that helps answer basic questions like temp, ph & so on. Maybe a pic? Is his belly bloated at all?
I don't want to stress him out by taking a pic of him since i have to use a flash to get a clear picture. and his stomach isn't bloated.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #5 
gossipgirl1031

Thanks for posting the info :) No, if it stresses him, don't worry about a picture. Is his belly bloated at all? Is he floating on his side? Maybe PM Sakura8 or OldFishLady. Those 2 are awesome when it comes to diagnostics.

I normally keep my babies at a little higher temp. Auggie (the real little guy) is at around 83 degrees now.
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:34 AM   #6 
Krys

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossipgirl1031 View Post
Thanks for posting the info :) No, if it stresses him, don't worry about a picture. Is his belly bloated at all? Is he floating on his side? Maybe PM Sakura8 or OldFishLady. Those 2 are awesome when it comes to diagnostics.

I normally keep my babies at a little higher temp. Auggie (the real little guy) is at around 83 degrees now.
He's not floating on his side, and he's not bloated. He's a steel blue usually and very active, but now he' just sits there and moves every now and then and stays against the side of the tank. I'm just so confused cause he looked perfectly fine one day, then the next day... this. i don't get it. usually when my fish get sick it comes on gradually that i can see, but not this time.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

water is way too cold. baby bettas need 82F + water. Place her in the warmest part of your house and do a 100% water change everyday. make sure the water temperature you change are the same as well...

Baby betta produce a growth stunting hormone, which can essentially stunt their own growth without the adequate water changes
hope she gets well soon..

Last edited by ao; 08-05-2012 at 10:25 AM.
ao is online now   Reply With Quote