Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #1 
KasaraWolf

Help Please! Boy Floating and Spinning!

I have not been here for awhile :O Hi again guys!

I have a serious problem with my King Betta, Goliath.

See, the other day, I noticed he was not going to the bathroom and he would sleep vertically. I moved him into a different tank after my Halfmoon Betta kept breaking through the barrier and beat his fins up a bit the beginning of last week, but before I moved him, he was just fine.

I put him in a small hospital tank, added some Epsom Salt, hoping that it would help ease the slight bloat he has. By the next day, he was REALLY off balance and couldn't swim straight, either floating off to his side or just dropping to the bottom and laying on his side there. And when he would try to go get air, he would try to rush, so would end up doing flips or spinning vertically trying to get air. I put the water level REALLY LOW and now he can get air easily.

He doesn't eat still, (It's been two days) but he is completely aware of what's going on around him, moving his head to look at things and moving his eyes to look up at me, breaks my heart D,:

He is my favorite fish, I really don't want to loose him >_< Please help if you can!
KasaraWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #2 
Aus

If epsom salt isn't helping him at all, I'd suspect a bacterial infection. Aeromonus can cause serious swim bladder issues, and being a gram-negative bacteria (like columnaris), it needs an appropriate antibiotic.

Furan-2's a good broad spectrum antibiotic, as are Kanaplex and Myxazin.

This is just what I'd do, maybe other members have other treatment ideas.

It may take much longer than a few days for him to come good, too. None of my bettas have had this, knock on wood, but I had goldfish with horrible persistent sbd once and bacteria was indeed the cause.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #3 
KasaraWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
If epsom salt isn't helping him at all, I'd suspect a bacterial infection. Aeromonus can cause serious swim bladder issues, and being a gram-negative bacteria (like columnaris), it needs an appropriate antibiotic.

Furan-2's a good broad spectrum antibiotic, as are Kanaplex and Myxazin.

This is just what I'd do, maybe other members have other treatment ideas.

It may take much longer than a few days for him to come good, too. None of my bettas have had this, knock on wood, but I had goldfish with horrible persistent sbd once and bacteria was indeed the cause.

Oh joy D: I don't think I have any of those medicines >o< Only Maracyn I and II and API General Cure D:

Hopefully some others will give their input about this as well, I don't want to do something that might harm him D:
Old 08-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #4 
KasaraWolf

Anyone else at all know what's going on and how to treat it? ._.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:05 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

If its a gram negative bacteria - then you can use maracyn 2. Maracyn 1 and 2 combined should have the same effect as using furan 2

Last edited by Tikibirds; 08-05-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #6 
Aus

I am doing a pile of research on various bacteria, and found this:

Gram-positive bacteria
Gram-positive bacteria thar grow rapidly and cause systemic infections: Streptococcus and related species.
Symptoms are similar to the systemic gram-negative infections and include skin discoloration, pop eye, fluid in the belly, ulcers, bleeding, granulomas of the kidney spleen or liver. abnormal swimming behavior such as spiraling or spinning are very common in fish with streptococcal infections and indicate the central nervous system is affected.
Treatment: for gram-positive bacterial infections:
  • Make sure water quality is good and deal with external parasites if present.
  • Antibiotics include: erythromycin (1.5g/lb of food, feed 10–14 days), amoxicillin, ampicillin, and florfenicol.
__

So possibly g-pos and not g-neg bacteria.. Maracyn 1 is for gram pos, yes?
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #7 
ChardFish

No one has said this, but he may be constipated. Bettas can live just fine for about a week without food, so dont panic about him not eating quite yet (people say longer, but I dont like to be hungry so I never fast my fish more than a day or two unless REQUIRED medically). As they get backed up and the bloat gets worse, they cannot operate their swim bladder properly. Some it gets stuck open, others it gets stuck shut. All the advice the other members have given you is great, but I hope its nothing as serious as all that, for his sake and yours! Good luck- my favorites are my Giants, Ledley, Rasputin (formerly Solomon), Theresa, and Hannibal.
ChardFish is offline   Reply With Quote