Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #1 
joanmi

Every day is WORSE

Hi! I'm desperate.
Last saturday (July 28th) I saw a small white/clear spot on the upper fin of my betta. He's worse now. I need help.

On August 5, 2012

SYMPTOMS
Appearance Changes: Started with a small white/clear spot on the upper fin but now is on the entire upper fin and a little bit at the bottom fin.
Behavior Changes: He's active like always.
Eating Habits: Normal

I don't have the water stats.

TANK
Size: 0.5 gallon
Temp: I have not the exact temperature but should be between 70-80 F

HUSBANDRY PRACTICES
Frequency of Tank Cleaning: Like every 3 weeks. I think this was what caused the illness.
Water Additives: Tap water dechlorinator.
Feeding (food type/frequency): 3 Pellets once a day.
Tank Mates: He's alone.

TREATMENT
Any treatment so far and when: I started his treatment every day with Quick cure (1 drop on every 2 gallons, 100% water change every day) on July 28th and he was getting worse. On August 2nd, I stop the Quick cure treatment and started treating him every day with aquarium salt (0.5 teaspoon on every 0.5 gallon, 100% water change every day).

HISTORY
List any past health problems: His first illness since I have it (March 2012).
joanmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

Looks like a marble, has there been any behaviour changes? Also, do you usually change the water every other day too?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #3 
Silverfang

I don't think he's a marble, it looks like his fins are being eaten. Keep up with the water changes. I'm afraid I don't know what else to suggest.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

I don't see signs of rot...
but keep an eye out for changes in behaviour

Here's a page on marbling...
http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...articleid=1114
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #5 
Twilight Storm

Since you started on the 1tsp per gallon+100% water changes daily has it progressed?

Just for information sake:
There is a red loss, and a blue loss, gene in some fish. They loose the color named depending on which they have. This usually only happens when the fish are older I think but I would need to brush up on both of them to know for sure. I have a marble fish with blue loss which is why I brought it up. It's kind of funny since I don't like the colors red or pink and that's exactly what color my silly fish turned out to be lol.

The only other thing I can suggest is take out his gravel. If you have a bacterial thing going on in the water, the gravel could be harboring it in the stones themselves. (I had issues with one type of gravel)

If you take it out and monitor your fish during the treatments you might be able to eliminate the gravel possibly being the issue. Some gravels will change the PH, hardness, etc of the water. He could be reacting to it. I want to say he's marbling too except he seems pretty solid colored. My copper betta had his fins go clear from the gravel I had in his tank until I threw it out. This may not be the case with your fish though. You will have to test it. Just don't throw it out until you know for sure.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #6 
Aus

Quote:
TANK
Size: 0.5 gallon
Temp: I have not the exact temperature but should be between 70-80 F

HUSBANDRY PRACTICES
Frequency of Tank Cleaning: Like every 3 weeks. I think this was what caused the illness.
^ All of the above combined are enough to cause illness. Half a gallon changed every three weeks will be half a gallon of fish pee with a fish in it.

You're on the track for treatment for ammonia damage, just keep at the salt and clean water - no mre than 10 days of it. If he's still eating normally and looking active, he will probably be fine. Good point about ph! ^

Please consider a larger tank? Half a gallon doesn't leave you much room for error, and really not much room for the betta either.

Have you a heater? Temperature fluctuations can contribute to disease as well. A cheap adjustable heater will help that. Of course, fitting one in a half gallon may be a challenge.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote