Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #11 
prodrumernate

i havent been using any fertilizer.they do get their nutrients from fish waster and minerals in the water.i also have some chemicals that i got from a guy when i bought a bunch of stuff.its something to do with plants.but im not sure what its for..3 bottles

1.strontium chloride
2.blended calcium salts
3.sodium hydroxide

i think the guy had stuff for a saltwater aquarium and i think thats what it goe too.but im not sure if its for plants or for corals and things like that.to which i did get a small coral from him.i did a little research and couldnt find any info onto what those products are for.
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #12 
starrlamia

Do you have a plant substrate like soil or a commercial brand? If not you can't completely rely on fish waste for nutrients, I would grab a comprehensive fert and something that has nitrates to add if you have inert substrate. You may want to venture over to the tropical fish keeping site or planted tank. Net to see what they say about your cycle and setup.

No idea what those are for.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #13 
prodrumernate

they are red ludwigia so survive on next to nothing pretty much.ive been watching them and they are fine.of course now that my nitrate is low like it is.im watching them more.and if something happens ill pull them out and work on them.currently im unemployed.im not able to go out and buy anything...they plants are sitting in a pot i made for them using water bottles and some rock.ive got a pic ill upload of my aquarium...i do need to find out what those chemicals are for.ill head that way to the tropical fish keeping site and ask there as well.. :)
Old 08-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #14 
MSG

I think I've come across a natural water source with a unlimited supply of red ludwigia.

The only catch is I would need to treat the plants first to prevent introducing unwanted guests.

I'll probably use that algae clear/sparking type water treatment on those plants instead.

I'll research that before I do any sort of treatment.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #15 
prodrumernate

pictures
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #16 
prodrumernate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
I think I've come across a natural water source with a unlimited supply of red ludwigia.

The only catch is I would need to treat the plants first to prevent introducing unwanted guests.

I'll probably use that algae clear/sparking type water treatment on those plants instead.

I'll research that before I do any sort of treatment.
i wish i could come across some red ludwigia or any other aquatic plant.considering i live in phoenix arizona.im all desert.i can find plenty of cactus though :)

i would surly clean them.even keeping them in water for a while changing it out.that should help clean them.im sure the chlorine in the water will help rid of any unwanted guest.and the plants should be just fine
Old 08-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #17 
MSG

You should move all the plants to one area, so it's easier for people to tell how many live plants you have.

Took me a while to figure out what plants were real. I'm not used to seeing a single plant stem anchored in a entire container. I'm used to seeing bunches.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #18 
MSG

The source I came across is a man made pond in a cemetery. There was 1000's of them in the water, but it was semi frozen, so what I manage to fish out didn't survive.

Also there's plenty of rivers and streams that I drive by all the time. I came across a fast running stream loaded with all sorts of plants right next to this commercial building. The weekend would be the best time to check out the water source since most people at the company are off.

Even where you're located, there's bound to be a natural water source somewhere.

Just have to keep your eyes open. I wasn't prepared to do any harvesting when I had this discovery & the last thing I wanted to do is fall in.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #19 
prodrumernate

haha sorry.i spread it out so they get enough light on each plant.there are 4 pots.each pot has 2 stems.

2 in the center front and back.1 on the far left front.1 on the right front.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #20 
prodrumernate

if i was in missouri i could find plenty of places like that where i was living at.

the only body of water near me is a canal.strong flowing.too strong for any1 to get into and too far down off the bank to climb low enough to touch the water.i go fishing there sometimes.

another place is a man made lake.no plants in it.i go camping there..there are a few small bodies of water around.not close to where i live though.it would take me probably 20 or 30 minutes to drive there.im carless.and no money.though i havent tried looking.now would be a great time.i wouldnt be surpried if there was something hidden around here i didnt know thats in walking distance.