Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #431 
choob99

how do you post pics here? do i need to use photobucket or something? or can you post right to the forums somehow?
choob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #432 
ZergyMonster

You can add photos via the "attach image" button in the post reply window. You will have to go advanced and not a quick reply. Though Photobucket is easier in the long run if you want to add a lot of photos.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #433 
choob99

Ok here is the pic of my sorority, its a bit older some plants have been changed around and added but you get the general idea of it
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #434 
teeneythebetta

Very pretty tank, Choob.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #435 
choob99

thank you very much, looking at it i really do need to get some new pics coz the plants have been moved around so much since then! lol
Old 07-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #436 
MSG

Now I can see your tank. It's a 40 gallon? I thought only 50's & 55gallons had the center support bracket?

Those are interesting tank decorations. So many stadiums with dolphin statues. Pretty cool.

I like it.

Also what plant is that left of the bottle of blue dial soap?

So you feed the bettas the Wardleys color enchancing pellets, the HBH pellets, & Tetra Betta Flakes?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #437 
choob99

No this one is a 40 breeder tank, it doesn't have the center support, that is the handle to the glass lid. And actually I don't feed any of those at all lol, I bought those years ago when I first started keeping bettas and then learned the error of my ways lol I was feeding Hikari for several years but have now switched to NLS. Also feed frozen bloodworms, and freeze dried tubifex worms.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #438 
choob99

And I believe that plant is a fake silk one! lol I don't have it in that tank anymore as I now have a large piece of driftwood in the back with tons of java fern tied to it
Old 08-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #439 
babystarz

I've consulted with my roommates and they have given me the go ahead to create a sorority tank :) It's an Aqueon 14 (and for the life of me I can't figure out if it's actually 14 gallons or 10 - it says nowhere on the packaging!) and I am planning to fill it with substrate and plant it. I'm kind of a rambler so I'm bolding my important questions :P

I have some questions about how long the sorority members will need to be quarantined from each other. Here are the upcoming members:

Persephone - pet store crowntail I bought 3 days ago. She seems very healthy but I am the most worried about her spreading something, since she came from the pet store environment and I'll be honest - some of the bettas there looked like they were on death's doorstep.

2 mustard gas halfmoon females - coming from a breeder in Boston. They are siblings.

3 crowntail females - coming from a breeder in Georgia. Not siblings, but used to living with other females. They will be arriving quite a bit later than the other 2.

Now, for my questions. How long do they need to be quarantined from each other before I add them all to the sorority tank? And do you think I can get away with housing the siblings/former tank mates from the same breeder together (one group of 2, one group of 3) until that point, or am I asking for trouble? I do have 3 floating sick fish isolation chambers I could put in a big tank if there is fighting but I doubt the girls would enjoy being stuck in them.

I'm spending quite a bit of $ on these babies and they're all show quality females aside from Persephone so I would prefer to err on the side of extreme caution over losing a single fish here.

All of the incoming females will be treated with aquarium salt and Bettafix upon arrival. Should I add anything else?

Also, when I plant the tank, should I add Seachem Flourish or would that be overkill with the substrate?

I'm also curious to know what the general odds are that I will end up with a fish that is too aggressive to remain in the sorority. Should I consider getting an extra girl just in case this happens to keep my number at 6? I also worry that they will be very different sizes - Persephone is ginormous and I think the crowntail girls are pretty petite. I will be festooning the tank with plenty of decorations that have plenty of little hiding spots and caves and such. Plus the plants :)
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #440 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
I've consulted with my roommates and they have given me the go ahead to create a sorority tank :) It's an Aqueon 14 (and for the life of me I can't figure out if it's actually 14 gallons or 10 - it says nowhere on the packaging!) and I am planning to fill it with substrate and plant it. I'm kind of a rambler so I'm bolding my important questions :P

I have some questions about how long the sorority members will need to be quarantined from each other. Here are the upcoming members:

Persephone - pet store crowntail I bought 3 days ago. She seems very healthy but I am the most worried about her spreading something, since she came from the pet store environment and I'll be honest - some of the bettas there looked like they were on death's doorstep.

2 mustard gas halfmoon females - coming from a breeder in Boston. They are siblings.

3 crowntail females - coming from a breeder in Georgia. Not siblings, but used to living with other females. They will be arriving quite a bit later than the other 2.

Now, for my questions. How long do they need to be quarantined from each other before I add them all to the sorority tank? And do you think I can get away with housing the siblings/former tank mates from the same breeder together (one group of 2, one group of 3) until that point, or am I asking for trouble? I do have 3 floating sick fish isolation chambers I could put in a big tank if there is fighting but I doubt the girls would enjoy being stuck in them.

I'm spending quite a bit of $ on these babies and they're all show quality females aside from Persephone so I would prefer to err on the side of extreme caution over losing a single fish here.

All of the incoming females will be treated with aquarium salt and Bettafix upon arrival. Should I add anything else?

Also, when I plant the tank, should I add Seachem Flourish or would that be overkill with the substrate?

I'm also curious to know what the general odds are that I will end up with a fish that is too aggressive to remain in the sorority. Should I consider getting an extra girl just in case this happens to keep my number at 6? I also worry that they will be very different sizes - Persephone is ginormous and I think the crowntail girls are pretty petite. I will be festooning the tank with plenty of decorations that have plenty of little hiding spots and caves and such. Plus the plants :)
Your girls should be quarantined for at least 2 weeks- Or 3 weeks if possible (trust me an outbreak of illness is not fun.)

Defenitely do not house the siblings together, keep them separated.

Do not use aquarium salt for more than 10 days or it will hurt them. DO NOT use bettafix- ever! It contains some sort of tree oil that will damage their labyrinth organ and most of the time kills them. (don't use bettafix or melafix) if you want, use stress coat)

Flourish is a good fertilizer.

I wouldn't put more than 6 in a 10 gal. If you have a 14 gal, then I'd put max of 8. So your choice. You need a minimum of 4 girls for a sorority to work.*
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote