Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-30-2012, 04:23 AM   #21 
mizzlainy
New Member
 
mizzlainy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi View Post
Just read some articles/info regarding melafix for bettas. It can actually harm them instead... :( sorry sorry!!! There's bettafix which works like melafix but it's diluted and is better for bettas... However, I say you should use OFL's method... I'm pretty sure she knows better.

PS. nice tank!
I've read some posts that don't support bettafix And the leaves wont arrive until the 15th =( .. gahh!

Thanks =) Wish I went for the 5 gallon from the start..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
I believe what you have here is tail biting not fin rot. I also recommend treating with AQ salt.

I wouldn't use bettafix. I've read way too many problems about them.
Tail biting leading to fin rot, yea? =\ I think he's getting more stressed out since his home isn't the same as it was..
mizzlainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #22 
FishyFishy89
Member
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzlainy View Post
I've read some posts that don't support bettafix And the leaves wont arrive until the 15th =( .. gahh!

Thanks =) Wish I went for the 5 gallon from the start..



Tail biting leading to fin rot, yea? =\ I think he's getting more stressed out since his home isn't the same as it was..
No. I don't believe there is fin rot here. Unless you haven't changed his water in ages. This isn't fin rot.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:52 AM   #23 
mizzlainy
New Member
 
mizzlainy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
I wasn't able to quarantine him in a smaller container. I got a pet keeper that is 0.75 gallons, but couldn't get it to stay put while floating in the tank and I don't have anything to keep it still. Plus, the temperature wouldn't stay the same as the water in the 3gallon. My room gets really cold, so I can't leave the betta in the container w/o a heater. I can't afford another heater at this point, so I cleaned out the 3 gallon as best as I could and put him in there. Been doing 50% water changes every day and today marks day 5 of the 10 day treatment. The filter isn't running. He gets 4 Hikari pellets each day and fasts one day. He was fed a bloodworm the past couple days from my sister (2nd day was without informing me) and I already informed her not to do it anymore since that's supposed to be more like a treat.

You can sorta tell in the pics that his caudal fins are REALLY torn now...the dorsal and anal fin have been healing nicely and now I notice that around the gills are some odd color which might be ammonia burn? If I'm wrong, then I'd be more than happy to be wrong about that. I won't be getting the IALs until around the 16th or later..There are no oak trees that I know of around me.



Do I stop treatment or continue it until I reach day 10? I honestly feel like he's going downhill little by little :( !! I'm trying the best I can, but to see him worsen is so devastating!
mizzlainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #24 
Oldfishlady
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
What treatment are you using right now, and unless you have high levels of ammonia in the source water or forgot to use dechlorinator or your source water goes through a salt water softener unit-the 50% daily will prevent any ammonia/chemical burns.

Has his behavior changed...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #25 
mizzlainy
New Member
 
mizzlainy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
What treatment are you using right now, and unless you have high levels of ammonia in the source water or forgot to use dechlorinator or your source water goes through a salt water softener unit-the 50% daily will prevent any ammonia/chemical burns.

Has his behavior changed...
2tsp/gal of aquarium salt into dechlorinated water, 50% water changes daily. Last night, he seemed a bit different, but it seemed like it was because he didn't want the light on (that came with the tank). He acted like the light was too bright and would hide in a shaded area of the tank until I turned it off. When I shut the light off, he went back to swimming around the tank. Other than that, nothing different that I know of..

Right now I'm watching him and he's his usual self.
mizzlainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #26 
MistersMom
Member
 
MistersMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
ive heard Maracyn/furan 2/ or kanaplex work great. Ask Aus, she has dealt with fin rot on her rescues before.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #27 
Oldfishlady
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
I would give him more time, keep the light off or dim lit and even decrease the water changes to 50% every other day while the filter is off-provided that you don't have a lot of uneaten food in the tank or other livestock-especially if you have a sprig of live plant or better-a floating plant like water lettuce to float in the tank-this will lessen stress even more since you don't have the tannins to add yet....
Good that he is still acting okay otherwise....It can take weeks to months for the fins to regrow once the secondary infection has cleared up and sadly sometimes the fin never look the same after damage-especially since it might be fin/tail biting....

Keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #28 
mizzlainy
New Member
 
mizzlainy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistersMom View Post
ive heard Maracyn/furan 2/ or kanaplex work great. Ask Aus, she has dealt with fin rot on her rescues before.
Do you know where I could get this "maracyn"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I would give him more time, keep the light off or dim lit and even decrease the water changes to 50% every other day while the filter is off-provided that you don't have a lot of uneaten food in the tank or other livestock-especially if you have a sprig of live plant or better-a floating plant like water lettuce to float in the tank-this will lessen stress even more since you don't have the tannins to add yet....
Good that he is still acting okay otherwise....It can take weeks to months for the fins to regrow once the secondary infection has cleared up and sadly sometimes the fin never look the same after damage-especially since it might be fin/tail biting....

Keep us posted.....
If I start doing 50% water changes every other day, do I still add 2tsp aquarium salt for 5 more water changes or just 2 water changes and keep the treatment going only up to 10 days? Today marks day 6 of the 10-day treatment so that means I would leave the tank alone today, change 50% tomorrow, leave alone next day, and change 50% on the 10th day. As for food, he eats up the 4 pellets that he gets, so there's never any leftover food in the tank

I will try to find water lettuce!
mizzlainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #29 
MistersMom
Member
 
MistersMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Online.... :/ i hate online stuff, since you have to have a credit card.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #30 
Oldfishlady
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
I would have your treatment water premixed in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water to use for your water changes-This is so you can maintain the therapeutic dose of salt when making partial water changes.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Popeye not improving - what to do? FuulieQ Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 2 07-13-2010 07:11 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.