Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #21 
MSG

Where do you think I got that giant bunch of foxtail/hornwart & so forth.

I don't buy them because will eat the leaves like candy. Also the fish love the little critters that hide amongst the leaves. I always give them a good soak/rinse outside and water the plants with the water, but there's always plenty that still cling on.

The bettas I'm more careful with what I give them.

Once a plant has been thoroughly cleaned by the fish for a couple weeks, I move the plants to other tanks or where I feel they're needed.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #22 
prodrumernate

i need to go there.get me plenty of plants for free.my plants cost me almost 3 dollars.i used a coupon though at persmart so really didnt cost me anything.i want more though,.

i could do soemthing like that with my fish.use feeder fish to clean them off and then add to my betta aquariums.good idea :)
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #23 
MSG

The algae & the sparkling clear type water solutions would be a good way of cleaning plants. I heard that somewhere, but haven't verified it yet.

My barbs are going to be housed in the ZooMed Critter Cage [DO NOT FILL] labeled at the bottom till the first frost.

I know that thing housed a turtle before I got it.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #24 
MSG

Also the 1.5G tetra tank I toss the nano filter in, was turned up to 97 degrees. I had the heater set to 89 degrees. Guess it goes higher than that.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #25 
prodrumernate

there shouldnt be anything wrong putting it in there though its labeled not too.its just labeled so they arent held reliable for any damages.i have a 20 gallon long tank.its labeled not to fill with water.u can clearly see the person who owned it before me had it filled to the top.and for a long time.though i might use it as a breeding tank for bettas once i learn more.

thats pretty high for an aquarium heater i think.i know tropical fish like it warm but not that warm..
Old 08-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #26 
starrlamia

im not sure if that is enough plants to be soaking up all your nitrates, I would ask over at the tropical fish keeping forums.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #27 
MSG

Well I just slapped the nano filter on the 1.5G, there's no fish in there.

I disconnected it earlier and it's been pumping air into the water for the past few hours.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #28 
prodrumernate

i posted over in the other forum asking about the plants..hopefully ill get a reply.i posted over an hour ago and nothing has came up yet.

are those little filters any good?i thought about trying to get a small filter for my 2 gallon
Old 08-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #29 
prodrumernate

someone in the tropicalfish forum replied to my post..this is what they said about my nitrates being 0 and so low

"As long as ammonia and nitrite are zero, I would not worry about nitrates at zero. From your info, the nitrates were present earlier, so there doesn't seem to be a problem.

Live plants can result in zero nitrates, and Ludwigia being a stem plant is a fast growing plant. This may be the reason. But I wouldn't worry.

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/aquarium-plants/confused-tank-cycle-help-109763/#ixzz22hz3WAP4"

im sure they are there.but in smaller amounts than what the test actually test for,.its not exactly yellow indicating its at 0.but not red.its more orange than anything else.so most likely there are some its just too low to register on my test..

but i am glad u told me to ask in the tropicalfish forum..havent heard anything about the chemicals i have though :)
Old 08-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #30 
fairy74

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodrumernate View Post
someone in the tropicalfish forum replied to my post..this is what they said about my nitrates being 0 and so low

"As long as ammonia and nitrite are zero, I would not worry about nitrates at zero. From your info, the nitrates were present earlier, so there doesn't seem to be a problem.

Live plants can result in zero nitrates, and Ludwigia being a stem plant is a fast growing plant. This may be the reason. But I wouldn't worry.

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/aquarium-plants/confused-tank-cycle-help-109763/#ixzz22hz3WAP4"

im sure they are there.but in smaller amounts than what the test actually test for,.its not exactly yellow indicating its at 0.but not red.its more orange than anything else.so most likely there are some its just too low to register on my test..

but i am glad u told me to ask in the tropicalfish forum..havent heard anything about the chemicals i have though :)
Yours are low and mine high...swap half and then we are done?
fairy74 is offline   Reply With Quote