Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #441 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Your girls should be quarantined for at least 2 weeks- Or 3 weeks if possible (trust me an outbreak of illness is not fun.)

Defenitely do not house the siblings together, keep them separated.

Do not use aquarium salt for more than 10 days or it will hurt them. DO NOT use bettafix- ever! It contains some sort of tree oil that will damage their labyrinth organ and most of the time kills them. (don't use bettafix or melafix) if you want, use stress coat)

Flourish is a good fertilizer.

I wouldn't put more than 6 in a 10 gal. If you have a 14 gal, then I'd put max of 8. So your choice. You need a minimum of 4 girls for a sorority to work.*
Yikes, I had no idea about the Bettafix, thank you for letting me know. This is what I get for trusting Amazon reviews, I will be posting here first from now on to make sure a product is worth buying and won't harm my fishies. Does Stress Coat do anything extra that Prime doesn't do?

I will prepare to quarantine each of the girls for at least 3 weeks. Since they're coming from all over the place I think it's for the best.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #442 
Silverfang

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
I've consulted with my roommates and they have given me the go ahead to create a sorority tank :) It's an Aqueon 14 (and for the life of me I can't figure out if it's actually 14 gallons or 10 - it says nowhere on the packaging!) and I am planning to fill it with substrate and plant it. I'm kind of a rambler so I'm bolding my important questions :P

If you measure it, there are calculators out there that will how much it holds.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #443 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
If you measure it, there are calculators out there that will how much it holds.
Yep, I will be doing that. The tank is still packed up in my car ATM, I haven't decided if I will put it in my new house or my current apartment. I have some overlap time for the next month and I'm paying the rent for both places. My instincts say to just put it in the new place so I don't have to worry about moving it when it's all heavy and filled with substrate and water. The only issue is I want to be able to keep a close eye on the fish, so splitting them between two homes means I have to be at both places every day.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #444 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Yep, I will be doing that. The tank is still packed up in my car ATM, I haven't decided if I will put it in my new house or my current apartment. I have some overlap time for the next month and I'm paying the rent for both places. My instincts say to just put it in the new place so I don't have to worry about moving it when it's all heavy and filled with substrate and water. The only issue is I want to be able to keep a close eye on the fish, so splitting them between two homes means I have to be at both places every day.
It defenitely won't hurt to quarantine them until you move. But your tank needs to be cycled before making a sorority. I would set up the tank now in your new place & start cycling... Read about fish less cycling here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #445 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Kills them most of the time? I think that's an exaggeration. It's already watered down from the original formula.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #446 
teeneythebetta

I say it sometimes kills them because there are cases where people's betta dies and other times people say they have used it and their betta is still alive.

Personally I'm not taking the chance nor will I encourage others to. But to each their own.
Posted via Mobile Device
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #447 
ClassicCharm

Introduced my six new girls into their tank on saturday! Definitely the most peaceful introduction I've ever had. No chasing or fighting, no missing scales, just LOTS of torn fins. They're a pretty rowdy bunch haha. I've got them in Stress Coat and am doing a 24% water change every two days to keep things clean. Should I bother with AS to help them heal or just let things be?
ClassicCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #448 
Pidgey104

Thanks for this info. First time buying Betta and I bought a pair thinking they could go together. Nope Female wanted to beat up the male. so had to seperate them.
Pidgey104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:56 AM   #449 
pyro fiend

iv set up a 20H iv had it filtering for a few days.. now ik this will not cycle the tank.. but i plan on letting it sit at least a week more befor even adding a betta.ts got dirt with sand on top of it for a substrate.. i bought some "Argentine sword" plant from petco. and am planning on planting it.. also got some 'betta bulbs' in jars im watching to see if they grow. and they will be added later. but anywho.. if i say add a thing of java moss, maybe even some driftwood how many small girls can i fit in here?

i plan on getting them from petco [we dont have anywere elese that sells fem bettas] and puting them in either 1g drums [if there adults] and maybe mason jars if there tiny [usually ur petco sells SUPER tiny girls only] but i wont put adults with juvie fems.. and quarintining them for oh, 2 maybe 3 weeks. leting my tank cycle a little. and give my bulbs a chance to grow some if at all. i wanted to add a few bottom feeders. this depends on the girls size tho.. i was thinking a 1-2in alb- pleco. or maybe a mixture of 4 [total] albino and normal corys? with a few tetras/mollies or something running around?.. would this be over stocked? might this work if i give enough hides? i was thinking 5 maybe 6 girls...

BTW ik that pleco will need a bigger tank. once its up to size it will go into my 50 or 55 till i set up my 75 if it gets that big..
pyro fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #450 
pyro fiend

also if this would work out [and i think it will ifi get the right girls] what other plants or anything should i add in to break the line of sight, assuming the bulbs are a bust. ik alot of you are fans of anubia, java moss, moss balls [tho i dont consider it a plant more of a toy/chair] and amazon swords.. not sure what ima use for hides yet, thought of pvc,s pots, and maybe some rock item for a center piece. as i hav one laying around.. just one tho lol XD
pyro fiend is offline   Reply With Quote