Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #44031 
eaturbyfill

So, quartz play sand is good? They only had one kind.
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #44032 
Sakura8

So I should try a pair of those pundimila nyeri in the 20gal and hope they don't kill each other? They look nicer than apistos.

I read that buffalohead breed small clutches of large eggs and that the fry are born quite large. Makes it easier to feed them. If I did buffalohead, I'd only be able to have a mated pair. Fortunately they're easier to sex. The males are bigger blockheads, hahaha. I don't really care for the nuchal hump but I really want a pair of mated cichlids.

I also read the buffalohead, being reophiles, have atrophied swimbladders so they hop around more than swim.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #44033 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quartz should be good!

Here's the dad of the babies I'm getting hopefully tomorrow! SQUEEE! ^-^
I was hesitant because I thought maybe they weren't well cared for, but that looks like a healthy cichlid to me.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #44034 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
So I should try a pair of those pundimila nyeri in the 20gal and hope they don't kill each other? They look nicer than apistos.

I read that buffalohead breed small clutches of large eggs and that the fry are born quite large. Makes it easier to feed them. If I did buffalohead, I'd only be able to have a mated pair. Fortunately they're easier to sex. The males are bigger blockheads, hahaha. I don't really care for the nuchal hump but I really want a pair of mated cichlids.

I also read the buffalohead, being reophiles, have atrophied swimbladders so they hop around more than swim.

True about them. I'm so excited for them.
I'd try a pair.. anyways for most cichlids that I've seen the general idea is you buy a group of them, allow them to grow up, they naturally form a pair, and then you keep the pair and get rid of the extras.

Also, I read that buffalo heads mate for life. Sometimes if a fish's mate dies, it'll live out the rest of it's life without ever seeking a mate again. AWW. <3
Old 08-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #44035 
Laki

Buffalo head cichlids are kind of cool.. I don't like the bump though.. The "buffalo"! lol

Gone to feed the ratlets now. Who wants a pic?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #44036 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I don't see what's to like about them other than the bump. It's the main feature!
You get the bump without the controversy of a flowerhorn!

Ratlets = baby rats?
Old 08-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #44037 
Laki

Eww flowerhorns! lol Ok ok, your buffalo is better!

No I call rats ratlets. These girls are full grown. I'm just so... Ugh lazy.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #44038 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
True about them. I'm so excited for them.
Also, I read that buffalo heads mate for life. Sometimes if a fish's mate dies, it'll live out the rest of it's life without ever seeking a mate again. AWW. <3
Yep thats true, who said that love is not a fishy business as well (pun intended ;) ) ?
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #44039 
Sakura8

So maybe I'll get the pundi-whatevers (too lazy to go back and get their names) and if they kill each other, try the buffaloheads. I think it's sweet they mate for life. I know, I know, there's a scientific reason and I shouldn't anthropomorphize but I can't help it. :)

Laki, yes, pics! Of the hooded ones. I don't really need to see hairless rats. >.< Don't really like hairless creatures.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #44040 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Scientific reason? PFFT. It's called love Sakura! I think lot's of cichlids mate for life, just the "never loving another again" thing sounds different to me.

Going to wash the dogs.. because I'm bored. We bought them coconut shampoo so I'm excited about that. Plus learning about grooming at work got me past my fear of washing dog faces! xD

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese