Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #1 
stephanier

How many bettas in a 10 gal?

I currently have a 2.5 gal tank, but I would eventually like to upgrade to a 10 gallon so I can keep multiple bettas. Could I divide the tank 3 ways and keep 3 bettas in a 10 gal, or is it best to only have 2? Even with 3, they would have about 3 gallons a piece, so this seems ok, but I wanted to get others' opinions and experiences as well.
stephanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #2 
lvandert

I have a 10 divided 3 way for my boys. I do water change like its a 3 gallon though.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #3 
xjenuhfur

A 10 divided 3 ways can work. Or you could do a sorority. :)
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #4 
Kenny G

+1 with xjenuhfur
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #5 
Pogthefish

Sororities take a little more experience though, so if you are new, I would just get a divider
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:53 AM   #6 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjenuhfur View Post
A 10 divided 3 ways can work. Or you could do a sorority. :)
2 ways or 3 ways works, I have a female betta who is SUPER active, so I was going to only divide a 10 gallon tank into two... Be sure that you quarantine all the bettas for at least two weeks before putting them all in the divided tank, if one turns out sick it can spread to the others. Also be aware bettas like to jump over dividers, so you need to lower your water level or extend the divider to the top of the hood.

And sororities are difficult to manage and a lot of work, I wouldn't do that. I'd just get a divider.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #7 
stephanier

Thanks for all the advice! I I plan to upgrade to the 10 gal when I gain a little more experience and I have the money for all the new supplies. Also, does anyone find that they need 2 filters or heaters when they divide the tank 3 ways? I've read that sometimes water quality on the far end of the tank can be a problem when it's divided 3 ways. What's the best way to avoid that?
stephanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #8 
Myates

Heater + filter in the middle so the filter will push out the warm water. You don't need to do extra cleaning with only 2-3 fish in it, as 10s tend to have more then that in a normal community setting and still fine with one cleaning per week.

You can test your water weekly to make sure, but the water will be equal (condition wise) throughout the whole tank, as you should have small holes in your dividers so the water can pass through. The only way I can see one side being dirtier is if you don't vacuum each section appropriately and/or overfeed one section more then others.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #9 
eaturbyfill

I have my divided Betta tank divided into three sections. The middle one is for the heater and filter, so that there is no way for them to get injured on the equipment, and it makes it harder for them to see each other. I made the dividers myself for about $6.
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote