Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #31 
ao
TFK Moderator

I would say it was expensive but very fun:) totally worth every penny spent...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #32 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaQi View Post
Did it fly through the window? Or was his cage outside for sunning?

Oh my goodness!
Sadly no, i had them in the balcony to get some fresh air and sun. I was both lucky and stupid at the same time. I heard the screech but at first i thought it was a parrot on the nearest apartment. My canaries and he/she have almost daily conversations. When i heard it a second time i rushed just to be on the safe side. The hawk had already wounded my little fella and was trying to lift the whole cage. I feel guilty and lucky at the same time.

On the subject of betta tanks, now that i know better i wouldnt keep a betta (or any other fish) in something less than 5g. I know they do ok in less but consider this: Were do YOU want to live? In an apartment of 30 square meters or in an appartment of 70+ ?

Last edited by Pilot00; 08-05-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #33 
bettasloveme

I always try to give my betta the biggest home. It shows through their activity in the tank when I get them the bigger home.

For example, my rescue was sitting on the corner of the vase in the fish store. The lady said he sat on the corner all the time and tried to get me to get a livelier betta. I got him instead, and he perked up the second day and has not stopped moving since.
bettasloveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #34 
MadameDesu

From what other members have reported, tank size can fluctuate with betta personality. There was a member that got a 5gal tank for theirs, but it was too big for him. He had a more relaxed personality and much preferred the 1gal bowl she moved him too.
But other fish are more exploratory than others and like 5-10gal.
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #35 
Pilot00

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameDesu View Post
From what other members have reported, tank size can fluctuate with betta personality. There was a member that got a 5gal tank for theirs, but it was too big for him. He had a more relaxed personality and much preferred the 1gal bowl she moved him too.
But other fish are more exploratory than others and like 5-10gal.
I have read that as well, but i have never heard that elsewhere. It most probably has been an exception IMHO. A really shy betta?
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:43 AM   #36 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
I agree regarding fish personality and tank size. It also depends on the dedication of the individual. If one is willing to do the daily water chanes to keep the tank in optimum conditions then go for it. It's easier to find a place for several 1 and 2 g tanks than it is for a 10 or 20 g. My Freyja loves exploring whereas my HM kinda likes to chill out and soak it all in so to speak.

I see what you both are saying. Some of my fish seem happier with less space, there are others where I don't dare. I have one very tiny betta with SBD and epsom does not seem to be helping, so he has a small manageable tank (2.5 gallon.) . I think a bigger tank would not help him. One fish I have seems happy as long as he has leaf hammocks and is close to me. 2 others seem like they will be MAD if I give them less space.

Hmm.. something to think about.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote