Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #1 
xfeejayx

Just set up my 40gl!!

My first fish, a blue VT named Baloo, was getting cramped in his 1gl bowl. So I got a 10gl about 2 months ago. Once I saw he's friendly with other fish, upgraded him to a 40gl and got more fish.

current stock:

Baloo
4 glo fish (2 are a couple months old, 2 new).
10 neon tetras (5 are older, 5 new)
2 cherry barbs
3 albino cory catfish

Think I want another 2 cherry barbs (all males) and another glo fish to have all 5 colors.
Have a powerhead sucking through two rather large sponges, as well as a heater.
I put the whisper 10 filter from the 10gl into the 40gl to help cycle the tank faster (fish in cycling). Will take that out soon.

How's that stocking sound as far as loading? They're all small fish, so It seems alright, but there's a lot going on in that tank.

Also, it seems the corys keep bumping into baloo. I don't think they're actually biting him or anything because he doesn't get angry or retaliate. Is that something others have come across?
xfeejayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #2 
MSG

You should be fine with the setup. I'm curious to see what the tank looks like during the day & during night when it's illuminated.

Cories are crazy like that and sometimes have the tendency to headbutt things. Have you noticed them swimming to the surface to breath air?

I don't think you're overstocked at all.

What type of filtration system are you using? I know 40G don't come with starter kits.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #3 
xfeejayx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
You should be fine with the setup. I'm curious to see what the tank looks like during the day & during night when it's illuminated.

Cories are crazy like that and sometimes have the tendency to headbutt things. Have you noticed them swimming to the surface to breath air?

I don't think you're overstocked at all.

What type of filtration system are you using? I know 40G don't come with starter kits.
Man, those cories scared me the first few times they went to breathe. They're crazy. They shoot up and down. I didn't even know what happened the first few times, I was searching on the floor to see if a fish jumped out. The tank is uncovered to keep it cool.

I'm probably going to get a blacklight soon. The light has two bulbs with independent switches, which makes that much easier. It's acrylic, so not super clear, but it looks amazing with that light on it. I also like the shape.

I have a penguin 550 powerhead (145gph) attached to one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/261031147031...#ht_2227wt_845
The whole thing is underwater so it doesn't create surface current (see pic).

I have additional powerheads if you think it needs more filtration.

Should I bother with an air supply?

pics:

Last edited by xfeejayx; 08-06-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #4 
MSG

I really like all the colors of all the rocks and caves. Did you build any of the caves yourself?

I'm not sure why you have that horrible looking plastic plants unless they glow in the dark.

My cories always went to the surface for air, even though the tank they were housed in is very well oxygenated.

I wouldn't bother with the air.

I also don't have much experience with the type of filtration you're using so I don't want to make any comment on that.

The only thing I know from looking at your tank, is if any food gets stuck in those gumball sized rocks you're using as gravel, the fish won't be able to get at it till it rots.

Last thing you want is fish eating rotten food.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #5 
Ant10a

I really like the tank set up :)
Ant10a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #6 
xfeejayx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
I really like all the colors of all the rocks and caves. Did you build any of the caves yourself?

I'm not sure why you have that horrible looking plastic plants unless they glow in the dark.

My cories always went to the surface for air, even though the tank they were housed in is very well oxygenated.

I wouldn't bother with the air.

I also don't have much experience with the type of filtration you're using so I don't want to make any comment on that.

The only thing I know from looking at your tank, is if any food gets stuck in those gumball sized rocks you're using as gravel, the fish won't be able to get at it till it rots.

Last thing you want is fish eating rotten food.
No, they don't glow in the dark, but that's an excellent idea. I want some "plants" for them to hide and play around, but live plants seem like they're more work than the fish are.

That's a good point about the gravel size. Maybe I need to add a layer of smaller stuff on top of it. I'm just hesitant to do the smaller stuff because it's a pain to clean, it seems.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #7 
xfeejayx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant10a View Post
I really like the tank set up :)
thanks! It's been a fast moving process, so far. I scored real big on a local deal for the hard decorations.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

I love your tank too!!! I am really really glad that Baloo doing good. Love updates lol Thank you for your pm!!!
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #9 
kfryman

There are some aquatic plants that you can literally throw them in the tank, any lighting, no ferts and they will grow. You could even attached the two to the rocks. Anubias and java fern. Those two are super easy and hardy plants.

Anacharis is also easy and it is a stem so you can keep getting more pieces as it grows.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #10 
MSG

The problem with the gravel is once you've added it to the tank you're sort of stuck with it.

I don't recommend mixing smaller gravel with the ones you have now, but totally up to you. You can try it.

The type of shrimp pellets & sinking foods I feed my cories are the type of food that slowly softens and is meant to be slowly eaten. The fish need to WORK on the piece of food in order to get all the nutrients. These are not really designed to be a 1 bite thing.

Unless you're feeding flakes, but cories aren't designed to eat flaked foods.

With the size of your stones, there's a good chance your cories aren't getting enough food because it gets trapped in the gravel before they can actually eat it.

A turtle can move rocks that size, but most fish can't.

Make sure you take pictures before you change anything.

I really like the size of your tank and all the different options available. Also I have to keep an eye out for decorations like yours.