Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #11 
teeneythebetta

Internal Parasites
•Symptoms: Betta is losing weight but eating normally and acting lethargic.
He/she might dart or rub against decor.
•Treatment: These can be hard to fight and can get confused with the fatal disease Tuberculosis. Perform daily 100% water changes (if possible, for larger aquariums change 3/4). Make sure you carefully clean the gravel to remove eggs/larva. Aq.Salt does not seem to be affective against internal parasites. I find combining ES with an anti-parasite med is best. Treat with 1-2tsp/gal Epsom Salt combined with either Jungle’s Anti-Parasite Pellets, Jungle’s Parasite Clear Fizz tabs or API General Cure. PP is also effective against internal parasites.

I also reccomend using maracyn 2 medication, they sell it @ petsmart for abou $7
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #12 
Myates

White stringy poo is not always a sign of internal parasites, it can be a sign, but not always. Nor will there always be white stringy poo when there is internal parasites present. Can't always jump to conclusions when it comes to such things and fish- especially since their system is very delicate and can't handle a lot.

Epsom is what you would want to use first as it is the kindest thing for them... but you would want to look for the other symptoms before you start them on anything else.

Females who absorb or eat their eggs will tend to have white waste. White waste could be a sign of other digestive problems. For future help I would post in the help section.. I used to live in there, so things can be missed by experts and people who are very knowledgeable.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #13 
Knitterly

hmmmm.... She's been a tricky fish. She's a CT, so somewhat rounder and shorter than the VTs. But she's been more and less bloated over the past few months. lately she's been more bloated and not very colorful. Her poo some days is brown, some days is clear/white-ish. It's never longer than 5mm out of her body, though. I don't know that I'd say it was mucousy or stringy, though.

We recently lost our other CT female and I'm pretty sure this CT female was responsible for the missing meaty bits on the dead one. Sigh. She was HUGELY bloated for 12 hours or so.

I never know if she's overfed or carrying something internally. It has been suggested to me that she is eggy, based on her pictures that I posted. Perhaps she just continues to be eggy and that explains the poo.

Maybe epsom salts, a pea-based meal, and a day of fasting are in order. None of those would be harmful to them, right?
Knitterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #14 
Myates

CTs tend to get rounder a bit easier due to being more "streamlined"..

How much do you feed?
How often do you feed?
What type of food do you feed?

It sounds as if they are in a sorority, how big is the tank and are there other species of fish in there?

Very possible the other female could of attacked, how many females do you have? It could also of been nibbled on after death which is common..
Old 08-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #15 
Knitterly

I have a 10 gal, there are 5 in there. I feed Omega pellets, 3 per fish twice a day, but when the kids help, it's more per feeding.... little fingers, big pinches.

There are no other species in there. Alice was the submissive, she was always leaving any confrontation. There hasn't been ANY fighting in over 3 weeks. I know, sorority, it could happen randomly. I suspect nibbled after death, given what was missing and in what size chunks. One eye, a pea sized piece out of her belly, etc. There were no nips on her fins at all. Just belly meat and eyeball.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #16 
Myates

Didn't see the last question until after I posted.. sorry for repost, but rather do this then chance you answer while I am typing..

A day of fasting won't hurt, and tends to be good for them every so often. I wouldn't put her through the trouble of Epsom at this point, it is normally used for constipation rather then just a bloated belly. Not to mention you would have to isolate her, do daily 100% water changes, etc.. which can be stressful for the fish and not recommended when it's not actually needed.
For peas... it's good for constipated goldfish, but not so much for bettas. Unsure why people started using it on bettas, as their digestive tracts aren't made for such fiber type plants. Bettas are insectivores by nature, carnivores by design and get their fiber from the stomachs of their prey, or rather in the mix of pellets we feed- and even then you want to make sure that there isn't too much plant based ingredients in store bought food.
Peas won't necessarily hurt the bettas, but does them nothing good- no nutritional value to them whatsoever, just empty calories and carbs (even for humans, peas & corn tend to be more empty calories/carbs then much of anything else but some fiber). So your girl is going to the bathroom with no issues, so I see no reason to give her a laxative (epsom salt) and peas (for fiber to make them poo)... Epsom is used with medication for parasites to make sure the fish go to the bathroom to remove some of the parasites and little anything else.

I would look at the questions I asked above and see what can be changed before forcing her system into something similar to us taking a laxative.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #17 
Myates

Sounds more like a bite after death.. nipped fins are usually the first to be bitten during fights, as they fight tail to mouth and slap one another.. and in chasing.

She may just be eggy.. if you have a magnifying glass you can try to take out some of the white waste and see if you can see anything wiggling around.. but that can be hard. If the waste looks like any normal waste but different coloration, then I am leaning hard towards she just being a very eggy girl. Parasites tend to cause the fish to waste away as the parasites gets all the nutrition from the fish, and the fish don't get any from the food.. she may be a dominant personality which is causing her to become eggy more due to her hormones raging. Silly fish..
Old 08-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #18 
Knitterly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
she may be a dominant personality which is causing her to become eggy more due to her hormones raging. Silly fish..

Oy. Yes, indeed. She's the Cartman (south park) of the group. No one respects her, but she is fat and sassy and thinks she's in charge. She's not. that would be Boomer. giggle. Okay, so I"m just going to do a day of fast more often now that they're settling into themselves better and run with it for now.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #19 
ANHEL123

Hey everyone just want to add something ....
if it internal parasites i also think it contagious to other fish so don't share anything between them.
Another symptoms that fish might have clear wormy,or fecal discharge like super fine hair along with BLOATING. I also read that black poo also can mean internal parasites.

I know someone on the forum who treated internal parasites and get rid of them with Epsom salt started with 2tsp/gall and then finished with 2 tsp/gall with daily water changes and Parasite Guard. Epsom salt will help the fish purge the parasites,however epsom salt doesn't get rid of them completely you need medications. I think it very difficult to get rid of internal parasites so i think it better when you can diagnose it asap while fish still eating so he can produce waste. Dead worms are passed along with the poop.

opps...Sorry guys it took me long time to write because i am at work so i didn't see other post.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #20 
Myates

Typically when it comes to parasites and the "bloated" look, you will also notice that the rest of the body looks emaciated. The swelling of the stomach is from the worms themselves taking up the room and causing the stomach to become extended. Otherwise, they would look very skinny due to not getting nutrients.