Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2012, 01:27 AM   #11 
gossipgirl1031

I've never been sorry that I rescued a betta, whether it lived or was terminal. There's pics of a really severe case of neglect on my page (Maggie). She had terrible rot & was in filthy water with high ammonia. Labeled as a "male VT", she was clearly a female. She never rally colored up & her tail was more than half way gone & all other fins pretty much gone. I did everything I could to save her & she responded to treatment for a couple weeks before it came back really bad despite the best of care & medicine. I had to put her down after she gave up fighting. It was hard, but I don't regret it one bit. I may have a new King rescue coming my way when I get home from house sitting next week & I currently am helping a really tiny baby survive. Good luck!
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #12 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
(Tikibirds): "Most people are here are like NOOOOO! You are only supporting walmart/pteco and they will only replace the one you bought with another fish. The fish dies they get credit anyways so....might as well go ahead and try and give one a good life. Not like a $5 fish purchase is gonna really mean anything to a store a big as walmart anyways."

You know, that is the part I can not figure out for myself! I used to boycott Walmart for other reasons, and try to shop more locally but depending on where you live and your transportation, that might not work so well for you. I still rarely end up in a Walmart but Petco .. . yes. It is so close to me and it's 5 minutes drive versus 30 each way to a respectable local fish store. I guess I should make the 30 minutes drive and keep lists. I don't want to suport crappy businesses . . but on the other hand.. . I feel like the situation is doomed in a way. . like not enough people will ever boycott those places enough. Although some Walmarts have stopped selling fish, so maybe there IS hope for a boycott? I don't know.

GossipGirl, I really enjoyed your photo albums of your little girls and guys. :)

Thanks to everyone for posting the great links to medicine lists. I am going to look them over now.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #13 
gossipgirl1031

Thanks mursey! I took on maybe another lost cause yesterday with another Petco baby. Auggie's doing great! Growing, eating & being feisty! He's even starting to color up a bit. They had a pet adoption thing yesterday at Petco (and I fully support adoption) and it was located directly in front of the baby bettas. The dogs were barking SO much & I think it was stressing them more. I had been watching one there for about a week-super clamped. He was so much worse yesterday, so I decided to take him home. Hopefully Bode improves with proper care. He's not eating yet, not a good sign.
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote