Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #11 
xfeejayx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
There are some aquatic plants that you can literally throw them in the tank, any lighting, no ferts and they will grow. You could even attached the two to the rocks. Anubias and java fern. Those two are super easy and hardy plants.

Anacharis is also easy and it is a stem so you can keep getting more pieces as it grows.
Maybe I need to get some of these. Thanks for the heads up. I did some research into the plants before getting the bigger tank, but didn't find an economical solution. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet once a week and start adding a little at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
The problem with the gravel is once you've added it to the tank you're sort of stuck with it.

I don't recommend mixing smaller gravel with the ones you have now, but totally up to you. You can try it.

The type of shrimp pellets & sinking foods I feed my cories are the type of food that slowly softens and is meant to be slowly eaten. The fish need to WORK on the piece of food in order to get all the nutrients. These are not really designed to be a 1 bite thing.

Unless you're feeding flakes, but cories aren't designed to eat flaked foods.

With the size of your stones, there's a good chance your cories aren't getting enough food because it gets trapped in the gravel before they can actually eat it.

A turtle can move rocks that size, but most fish can't.

Make sure you take pictures before you change anything.

I really like the size of your tank and all the different options available. Also I have to keep an eye out for decorations like yours.
NEVER! I won't ever be stuck with anything . I still have the 10g that I can put all of them into for a bit if I want to change something.

Is there a reason you don't suggest the smaller gravel? I feel like it would end up being a layer on top of what's there now. maybe even glowing gravel?

Feeding tiny sinking pellets right now for the tetras and cories. The danios eat anything that gets near them, so lots of tiny pellets give the tetras a chance to get at them. Now that you mention it, the cories are ALWAYS swimming around frantically looking for food. I figured that was kinda normal, though.

I've seen all of those decorations at petsmart.
xfeejayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #12 
Pilot00

Glo fish e? Ahhh...the wonders of genetic engineering. Wish i could find some here.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #13 
FishyFishy89

i really think those cories should have sand substrate. the gravel could injure their sensitive barbs.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #14 
LittleBettaFish

I would definitely bump up the numbers of your cherry barbs, danios (which are what glofish actually are) and corys. You ideally should have at least six individuals for schooling/shoaling fish.

Also, barbs can be nippers when kept in small numbers so it's best to have a large a school of these as possible to avoid this.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #15 
xfeejayx

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I would definitely bump up the numbers of your cherry barbs, danios (which are what glofish actually are) and corys. You ideally should have at least six individuals for schooling/shoaling fish.

Also, barbs can be nippers when kept in small numbers so it's best to have a large a school of these as possible to avoid this.
yea, petsmart only had 2 of the cherry barb males. I don't want females so they don't multiply. I was planning on going to 4 (lady seemed knowledgeable and said they aren't as much a schooling fish as others are) but can certainly go to 6.

Danios will have 5 because that's how many colors they have....or maybe I'll get a "regular" one also.

I thought cory's would be ok in 3. Feel like the tank is getting heavy with 6 (they're so active!). Can certainly bump to 6 if that's the concensus.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

I would definitely add in a couple more corydoras. In the wild corydoras live in groups of hundreds of individuals. This is a good video from Youtube showing some wild schooling behaviour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JCZA-4CQH8
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #17 
MSG

I don't recommended the colored gravel. Since you're into the natural stones, I would recommend pool filter sand.

The glowing substrate is too new, I'm not sure if they're painted.

http://bestaquariumfilter.org/pool-filter-sand-aquarium
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/substrate1.shtml

I'm going to buy a 50lb bag of the PFS this week.

I have no problem with smaller gravel, just recommended not to MIX smaller gravel with what you already have in the tank.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #18 
MistersMom

That's an effing awesome tank O.O
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #19 
djembekah

My cories love the sand substrate I have. And their barbells have gotten long and beautiful. I'd agree- add two or three more of the cories. I only have five, but I am planning on adding at least one or two more in my 29 gallon.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #20 
xfeejayx

Thanks for the advice guys. Went by yesterday, and the albino cories they had all looked sad and inactive, and they were out of cherry barbs.

Shipment comes in today, will pick up two cories to make 5 (these things are crazy, I don't want to overdo it with the betta in there) and 4 cherry barbs. Will also get the purple danio to make a set.

I'm really thinking about this substrate now. It is pretty apparent that the cories can't get to the food.

Why the thought about not mixing the two? Though the sand sounds like a better idea, I think I want gravel because it's easier to clean. Can a gravel pump be used on sand?