Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #1 
Marvel170

Bettas and College

Okay guys I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this. I just got accepted at WMU(Western Michigan University)for the fall semester and I have 2 male bettas, well yesterday I bought all kinds of stuff for them. A new tank(a gallon bowl) for one and a couple of new plants for both of them with gravel. The thing is, is I don't know how to break it to my parents that I bought a new tank for one and gravel for the both of them(since I know my parents are going to get a little bit upset about the gravel and the new tank).. Also what is the safest way to move them for a 2 1/2 hour car ride and into my dorm room?

Thanks a bunch in advance
Marvel170
Marvel170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:33 AM   #2 
MSG

Upset with you buying gravel?

Why would they throw a fit like that?

Are they going to yell at you when you spend you book money on beer and pizza?

I'm pretty sure that stuff cost more than gravel and plants.

You can bag the fish, and put them in a cooler with a towel or something to hide them.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #3 
Marvel170

I honestly don't know why they throw fits like that, back in january when I first got my fish my dad wanted me to flush them when he found out that I got fish with my OWN money*sigh*the only way I was able to keep my fish was because my brother had a betta too(which he also bought with his own money) and he really liked it, and that made my parents soften their judgment so we could keep our fish... XD yeah I'm sure it does cost more than a 5lb bag of gravel and a couple of mini plants..okay cool thank you MSG I was worried about holding them in their cups the whole ride there.. I wonder if I should change the tanks the way I want them and see if they notice XD
Old 08-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #4 
puppyrjjkm

First, congrats on the acceptance! 2.5 hrs won't be a problem for moving your boys. I'm taking 3 bettas 2hrs in a little over a week. If you still have the cups you bought them in, I would put them in those with the lids, then place them inside the empty tank, and put a towel around them (less stressed when it's dark).
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #5 
MadameDesu

To be totally honest, I put mine in the cup she came in, and then in the cup holder in the front of my dad's car :P
Every once in a while, I'll pick up the cup and wrap my hands around it to keep it darker and warmer.
She's been doing fine with this method so far.
Congrats on your acceptance! Bettas make great roommates :)
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #6 
Marvel170

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameDesu View Post
To be totally honest, I put mine in the cup she came in, and then in the cup holder in the front of my dad's car :P
Every once in a while, I'll pick up the cup and wrap my hands around it to keep it darker and warmer.
She's been doing fine with this method so far.
Congrats on your acceptance! Bettas make great roommates :)
Thanks MadameDesu :) I am really excited, to also be honest I've also used that method too :D I agree they do make great roommates, because I have them in my bedroom right now and I haven't heard a peep out of them the past 7 months XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyrjjkm View Post
First, congrats on the acceptance! 2.5 hrs won't be a problem for moving your boys. I'm taking 3 bettas 2hrs in a little over a week. If you still have the cups you bought them in, I would put them in those with the lids, then place them inside the empty tank, and put a towel around them (less stressed when it's dark).
Thanks puppyrjjkm :) Again very excited for school :) You're leaving in alittle over a week for school? Man that's early! Yes I still have the cups I bought them in, that was one of my other ideas that i thought would work :)
Old 08-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #7 
MadameDesu

Freshman usually leave early for like 5 days of those get-to-know-you activities. Ugh :P
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #8 
LizzyP

I start school tomorrow so count your blessings :P

When I moved my betta from my fiancÚ's house to my current house I just put him in his old cup and wrapped a tshirt around it and held him in my lap. He wasn't very happy about it, but he made it :)
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #9 
puppyrjjkm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel170 View Post

Thanks puppyrjjkm :) Again very excited for school :) You're leaving in alittle over a week for school? Man that's early! Yes I still have the cups I bought them in, that was one of my other ideas that i thought would work :)
Yep, actually I'm a transfer student so I want plenty of time to get used to the new and bigger campus + find my way around town.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:58 AM   #10 
Marvel170

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyrjjkm View Post
Yep, actually I'm a transfer student so I want plenty of time to get used to the new and bigger campus + find my way around town.
Awesome!! I'm a transfer student too :) Yeah I'm kind of nervous about switching from a community college to a big university myself, but I'm sure we'll manage :) best of luck this up coming year :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyP View Post
I start school tomorrow so count your blessings :P

When I moved my betta from my fiancÚ's house to my current house I just put him in his old cup and wrapped a tshirt around it and held him in my lap. He wasn't very happy about it, but he made it :)
Aww man that doesn't sound fun at all :P Congrats on the house :) that doesn't seem like a bad idea, since my boys are never happy in their cups anyway LOL Good luck in your school year too :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameDesu View Post
Freshman usually leave early for like 5 days of those get-to-know-you activities. Ugh :P
Yeah the school I'm going to has something like that it's called welcome week and they show all the newbies(I'm one of them) around campus, and do group activities.. Then we have something called bronco bash where we can see all the clubs that we can join :) can't wait!!